Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Books in Parallel?
No, I read one book at a time. When I finish/give-up, I start another book. 55 33.74%
I mostly have 2-3 books going at a time. 75 46.01%
I often have 4-5 books going at a time. 29 17.79%
I frequently have 6+ books going at a time. 4 2.45%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #61
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Watches may be the only exception. But they have been known to check to make sure they don't have any hidden USB cards or wifi capabilities. I should probably buy a pocket watch just to be on the safe side.

Ok, ok, back on topic.

I do find myself reading more books at once since I got my first ereader. I used to only read a single paperbook at a time.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #62
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No I only read 1 book at a time.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I didn't say I couldn't I just know plenty of folks who cannot. I don't read for pleasure at work. I either eat at my desk so I can get out earlier or I go out with friends for lunch and chat.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #64
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Pretty much all of my habits vary wildly, and reading is no exception. I'm more often than not a one-book-at-a-time guy, but for several months it's been my habit to have one ebook going and one audiobook, and sometimes I add another book or two into the mix, as well as grazing on various books of poetry, spiritual teachings, essays, or short stories that one could say I am always reading but will never finish.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #65
Blackfeather
Blackfeather began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Android
I voted 4-5, but I probably should have voted more now that I think about it. I am always in the middle of 2-3 fiction books, at least 1 technical/trade book, and a philosophy book or two. Then there's the audiobook collection, which I might be working through an additional 2-3 books of assorted category and character. I also like to sample a chapter or two of many books as I go, to see if I will want to read them later.

I am also very fickle though, and will sometimes walk away from a book for months before picking it up again and finishing it later in an all night reading binge.
Blackfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #66
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Old habits die hard. I am used to reading 6+ books at once because I did that for a living. These days I mostly keep it down to 4-5; 2 fiction, 1 non-fiction, 1 audiobook, and 1 e-book at the same time.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #67
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have a multitude of books that I have started and not finished. Mainly non-fiction. I really like the idea of reading biographies but I get bored pretty darn fast.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #68
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Normally I read about two books at a time: a paper book and an ebook. Two is about all I can handle-- anything more and I start forgetting plot points, characters, etc.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #69
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I almost always have a fiction and non fiction book going. I will usually finish 2-3 fiction books before the non fiction one, but it depends on how long it is.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #70
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
As a grad student, I'm usually reading more than one at a time, but I find not only is the enjoyment rarely there, I also don't really remember much when I read multiple books at a time. So I stick with one at a time when I can help it.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #71
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I voted 4-5, as it is my modal category. But at any one time I might have only a couple on the go or 7-8. I am a reading addict and will frantically read train timetables or government advice or anything in print if I don't have what I really want. I typically stock the loo with reading material and read while cooking or cleaning my teeth. I often have a book that stays in the kitchen to be read while I am cooking. A NF book that is a series of short articles is ideal I read The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins that way. A tooth-cleaning book that I recently finished was Alan Sokal's Beyond the Hoax.

And if I am tired, it's no good my engaging with a challenging book, so I retreat to escapist fiction late at night to get myself to sleep.

BUt I also read a lot of magazines. I am gradually reducing my subscriptions but retain New Scientist (weekly) and am still getting Time. I was in England last week and I came back with a Spectator, Private Eye, and The Economist. I am still reading the last and two New Scientists await me as well as a Time. I also keep up with various newspapers online. As a result my reading levels are very uneven.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote