Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Japanese YouTube with K3 screensaver

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...3.new.html#new

So someone has posted a Youtube showing different screensavers but didnt show how to do it.

Courtesy of raider on Kindleboards.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUizqALBf7g

Anyone speak Japanese? This is the uploaders website:
http://hondamarlboro.blog112.fc2.com/

Lots of katakana and I cant remember it...

Last edited by Pushka; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The person on the website is using the serial console port inside the bottom cover hole. We already know it is there and that you can get root with it. The problem is that it isn't very practical because you need to have a special adapter PCB made that fits into there and then wire it to a serial dongle that will output 1.8V. If you don't have those pieces then you can't do it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The person on the website is using the serial console port inside the bottom cover hole. We already know it is there and that you can get root with it. The problem is that it isn't very practical because you need to have a special adapter PCB made that fits into there and then wire it to a serial dongle that will output 1.8V. If you don't have those pieces then you can't do it.
Completely right. Serial line connection is /NOT/ a easy way to hack for general and average users.
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamarlboro View Post
Completely right. Serial line connection is /NOT/ a easy way to hack for general and average users.
I think you're the first person to actually do something with root on a K3 though and its all documented so got to give you credit and thanks for that
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey there hondamarlboro. Nice to see you. You know you are going to make a lot of people very frustrated they cant do what you did. Coz many of us want to get rid of those horrible screensavers.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Hey there hondamarlboro. Nice to see you. You know you are going to make a lot of people very frustrated they cant do what you did. Coz many of us want to get rid of those horrible screensavers.
Good to see you. Please try at your own risk.
This is a /NOT/ easy hack like update.bin on kindle2/DX. And you /MUST/ have serial line connections before you go, refering how to make it on other forums. Again, at your own risk!!

1) Prepare for favorite pictures GIF or JPG, W600xH800. File name is up to you. Kindle automatically sorts by numeric>alphabetic order.
2) Connect Kindle and PC via USB and copy these picture to Kindle USB strage
3) Disconnect USB
4) Establish serial line connections with Kindle and PC
5) Backup original pictures from /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/
6) Copy your pictures to above directory
7) Reboot

If you have serial line connections, this is very easy.
But, for average user, making serial line is very very tough work and I strongly recommend that you wait for easy hack released from skilled hackers.
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
This is a /NOT/ easy hack like update.bin on kindle2/DX. And you /MUST/ have serial line connections before you go, refering how to make it on other forums. Again, at your own risk!!
But, for average user, making serial line is very very tough work and I strongly recommend that you wait for easy hack released from skilled hackers.
I am sure there will be a lot of people able to do what you are saying here. And you do give us hope that for people like me, others will make it happen now. So and kudos.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
raider
raider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
thank you
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
turntherage
turntherage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

1) Prepare for favorite pictures GIF or JPG, W600xH800. File name is up to you. Kindle automatically sorts by numeric>alphabetic order.
2) Connect Kindle and PC via USB and copy these picture to Kindle USB strage
3) Disconnect USB
4) Establish serial line connections with Kindle and PC
5) Backup original pictures from /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/
6) Copy your pictures to above directory
7) Reboot

If you have serial line connections, this is very easy.
When I first got to this thread, I know it's old but I did a search for screen savers, I thought there was no way I could pull this off but it was actually easier than you led me to beleive. After about an hour of work I now have a great picture of my family as me new screen saver. Awesome.
turntherage is offline   Reply With Quote