Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't like reviews on GoodReads loaded up with GIFs. If I see a couple of those on a book, I assume the book likely isn't for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I must be reading the wrong sort of books. I’ve never seen a GIF-laden review.
I've seen some of those reviews. I agree with ZodWallop - if I see GIFS, I assume I am not the book's target audience. Ditto if the review is full of pictures of actors that the reviewers posted to represent characters in the book.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 AM   #32
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm curious: what was the error?

I far prefer LibraryThing to GoodReads. I used to be a regular user there that I sort of drifted away from when I moved to ebooks.
Unfortunately, LibraryThing will never be any contender for Goodreads as AbeBooks (now Amazon owned) owns a 40% share of LT.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #33
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I stopped adding books I read, wanted to read and reviews when I realised that Goodreads was an Amazon data capture tool. Amazon should never have been allowed to buy it, Mobipocket, IMDB, Book depository, Abe Books and others.

Also they are totally inflexible about content removal. As mentioned in the article, the site doesn't even work very well.

Like Amazon, they also conflate illustrators and colourists as book authors!

StoryGraph seems to be on a second incarnation and seems poor. Their selection screen for filtering recommendations is also poor, though the idea is reasonable and works well on the TV broadcast Guide, Digiguide, which is far better than Radio Times, RTE Guide, Sky Onscreen Guide / Search or Freeview/Freesat guide/search.

The best alternative would be for Amazon to be forced to divest of companies that they should never have been allowed to buy. But we certainly don't want to see Goodreads owned by any Social Media Company, Apple, Microsoft, Google or Oracle. Or any company owning online or physical bookshops.

I don't know what the answer is for an alternative. We do still of course list our new releases on Goodreads. But be warned, even if no copies are yet sold and the cover is changed before release, Goodreads will not remove the never used invalid cover.

Also Amazon refuses to remove listings for totally withdrawn novels. It's reasonable that they should keep listings for merely out-of-print novels.
What do you use then? i only use GR to log books i have read as i used to use a spreadsheet but its too much maintenance lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
What do you use then? i only use GR to log books i have read as i used to use a spreadsheet but its too much maintenance lol
I occasionally browse two or three physical bookshops, browse the many Charity shops in the City, except usually Oxfam as they are aimed at selling to rich people, sometimes the City's second-hand bookshop (many gone due to cheaper charity shops) check out recommendations from people I know, check PD sites for long gone authors, search for current authors I've read, sometimes add books I already know about to my Amazon Wish list. It's not long.

My TBR pile are ebooks already in Calibre or on reading devices not yet read and paper books I already have and haven't read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #35
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
So far, after about a week of using it, I like StoryGraph. It feels like a stripped down GR, no bad thing. I've already added 7 of its recommendations to my TBR list, around 35-40% of its "top picks" - a much better hit rate than GR ever managed.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #36
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here, in general they have some good reviewers at StoryGraph with a nice interface. I just hope that they implement book variants soon.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Same here, in general they have some good reviewers at StoryGraph with a nice interface. I just hope that they implement book variants soon.
I've been impressed with the tenor of the replies I've had when submitting error reports/missing info to their help email. Friendly, a little apologetic and stressing they're trying to get it up and running and out of beta. They seem like a well-intentioned team, I hope it works out.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #38
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have enjoyed playing around with it. I, like a few others, have really liked some of the recommendations it has popped out at me. I also LOVE the clean interface. I would not mind converting to this as a tracking means if they continue to develop and improve.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #39
rantanplan
Guru

I'd really love if StoryGraph had an API and could also access kindle API, kobo API or Tolino API to automatically integrate reading progress, book lists, maybe even notes (https://read.amazon.com/notebook).
Unfortunately, none of them really have an incentive to give StoryGraph access to their data ��
Old 09-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I'd really love if StoryGraph had an API and could also access kindle API, kobo API or Tolino API to automatically integrate reading progress, book lists, maybe even notes (https://read.amazon.com/notebook).
Unfortunately, none of them really have an incentive to give StoryGraph access to their data ��
Kindle definitely has no incentive, given that GR is part of Amazon's data-slurping package. The other two have very little incentive, but it's not entirely inconceivable that a case could be made for them to offer such access precisely because it could be an alternative to the Kindle/GR integration. I won't be holding my breath, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #41
rantanplan
Guru

Kindle doesn't even have a proper GR integration, it only works in the US.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #42
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Well then, if Kobo has addressed one long-standing weakness by upgrading its dictionaries, perhaps an API for a GR alternative is a slightly less ephemeral hope than it may have seemed.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Obviously they are inconsistent. Or perhaps because the ebook exists but not paper?
Amazon specifically told us they would not remove listings.
Did they tell us they "would not remove listings"? I don't ever remember that. I DO remember them saying you would always have access to the books you get though.

And I think that is still true. There is one book in my library where the book no longer has a listing (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title) but I can still get the book from my Kindle library and download it. That is all that I remember being promised.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #44
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'm curious what you mean by proper integration? My kindle has GR and I'm in Australia and it auto adds books/etc as I read them.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #45
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
There was a link on these forums to the number of books ordinary, avid and extreme readers can read before they die. If you actually have a life, it's a low number!
I didn't keep my sources, since I didn't think anybody else would find the numbers useful, and all I am interested in, is the numbers

Reading:
  • 0: Modal number of books read by an individual that are not work related, in one year;
  • 8: Median number of books read by an individual that are not work related, in one year;
  • 17: Mean number of books read by an individual that are not work related, in one year;
  • 1,600: Number of books read by the average individual, that are not work related, in their entire lifetime;

Volumes in a Library:
  • 500: Number of volumes in a home library needed to increase a child's educational level by 3.2 years;
  • 4,000: Number of volumes in a book mobile;
  • 5,000: Number of volumes in a personal professional library;
  • 15,000: Number of volumes in a middle school library;
  • 18,000: Number of volumes in a high school library;
  • 27,750: Number of volumes in a public library in the United States in 1955;
  • 52,701: Number of volumes in a public library in the United States in 1978;
  • 87,427: Number of volumes in a public library in the United States in 2004;
  • 150,000,000: Number of items in the British Library;
  • 155,000,000: Number of items in The Library of Congress;

I think the library size data is from scouring the American Library Association website.

Last edited by Fiat_Lux; 10-19-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: presentation markup
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algorithms, books, recommendations, social media