Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulver View Post
The two librarys I have tried that give me the error is (search for) "Skaraborg" and "Harryda"
I will configure a Forma next month for Overdrive to the Härryda library. If it's a general problem, I will let you know.

As you probably remember, my Forma works fine with Overdrive to the Gothenburg library.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
Pulver
Pulver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I will configure a Forma next month for Overdrive to the Härryda library. If it's a general problem, I will let you know.

As you probably remember, my Forma works fine with Overdrive to the Gothenburg library.
OK

I cant try Gothenburg since I dont have library card there, Västra Skaraborg (Lidköping) however have an open application so anyone (swedish) can apply for a library card and lend books immediately (link)
Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
The two librarys I have tried that give me the error is (search for) "Skaraborg" and "Harryda"

However - I have been able to browse books in a library called "Malmo", they only have titles in english (thats why I thought this might be a language problem)
Clearly, the issue is that Kobo likes Skåne and hates Västra Götaland .
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
After entering id and password - I seem to be logged in to Overdrive and the library - I press "Browse" and Kobo says "Please wait" a couple of times and then "Oops something went wrong"
From memory, that is on a page after logging in that lets you either browse books, or return to home page. If you leave and come back to the Overdrive sign in, what does it show? And if you go to the store from the home page, does it show an "Overdrive" tab?
Quote:

Looking at their pages, it doesn't look to be possible to sign up remotely. Which means I cannot test that.
Quote:
However - I have been able to browse books in a library called "Malmo", they only have titles in english (thats why I thought this might be a language problem)

I dont have any "stack_00.log" files in the .kobo directory at all.
(checked with hidden files activated)
Drats, I was hoping for something. The alternative is to turn on developers mode, and see if anything interesting is in the logs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:49 AM   #20
Pulver

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, that is on a page after logging in that lets you either browse books, or return to home page. If you leave and come back to the Overdrive sign in, what does it show? And if you go to the store from the home page, does it show an "Overdrive" tab?
After I login to my library I get 2 options "Browse" or "Search" - If I press "Browse" I get "Please wait" and then "Oops! Something went wrong"
If I press "Search" I can search, but I dont find anyting.

I can go back to the main page, and the Overdrive tab is present - if I press, it will go to "Please wait" and "Oops!" again.

Quote:
Drats, I was hoping for something. The alternative is to turn on developers mode, and see if anything interesting is in the logs.
I have turned on developer mode and found some logs - made a search for overdrive, and this is some of the errors I found:

Quote:
"https://thunder.api.overdrive.com/v2/libraries?perPage=1&websiteId=350317" => "Error downloading https://thunder.api.overdrive.com/v2...bsiteId=350317 - server replied: Bad Gateway"
Quote:
Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.</h2>^M <h3>There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.</
Old 09-11-2020, 06:39 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After I login to my library I get 2 options "Browse" or "Search" - If I press "Browse" I get "Please wait" and then "Oops! Something went wrong"
If I press "Search" I can search, but I dont find anyting.

I can go back to the main page, and the Overdrive tab is present - if I press, it will go to "Please wait" and "Oops!" again.
That's pretty consistent. It sounds like the failure is when retrieving details for the library. Or doing the actual login to fetch the books.
Quote:
I have turned on developer mode and found some logs - made a search for overdrive, and this is some of the errors I found:
Clicking on the link here opened it with no errors. Doing the same for my library, https://thunder.api.overdrive.com/v2...&websiteId=777 (the number came from the database), produced similar results. I can't get my device to send that request, but, it is probably related to already being logged in on another device.

The error is fairly generic. It suggests a configuration error on the OD server. It is proxying the request elsewhere, probably to an internal server, but it could be to a server owned by your library. As it is working from here, it suggests a server more local to you is failing. I assume OD is using distributed servers. It might actually work if you use a VPN with an endpoint in another country. That might mean it goes through a different server.

But, overall it is a Kobo issue. Or at least, they are the ones who have to raise it with OD.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #22
Pulver

Quote:
But, overall it is a Kobo issue. Or at least, they are the ones who have to raise it with OD.
Thanks for your answer

So its out of my control ?

Will send questions to the libraries and Overdrive and see what they say.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your answer

So its out of my control ?
I think you have done just about all the things that you could try. The only other thing would be to let someone try your library account from outside of Sweden.
Quote:
Will send questions to the libraries and Overdrive and see what they say.
Telling all the groups involved that there is a problem is probably the only way to get it fixed.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 AM   #24
dunman
dunman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Exact same problem. Library will look in to it

I have this exact same problem and after finding this thread I contacted the library directly. I got hold of the person in charge of OverDrive at this library and they will try to look in to it. Right now, they didn't have a Kobo reader to test with but I guess they'll get there soon.

Worth noting, they're super new to OverDrive and everything surrounding it. They just got it 2 weeks ago.
dunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunman View Post
I have this exact same problem and after finding this thread I contacted the library directly. I got hold of the person in charge of OverDrive at this library and they will try to look in to it. Right now, they didn't have a Kobo reader to test with but I guess they'll get there soon.

Worth noting, they're super new to OverDrive and everything surrounding it. They just got it 2 weeks ago.
Can you name the library? Or at least the country? It might help to work out if there is a common cause.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:07 AM   #26
dunman

Quote:
Can you name the library? Or at least the country? It might help to work out if there is a common cause.
Ah, sorry. It's the "Västa Skaraborg" library, as mentioned previously in this thread..
Old 09-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #27
dunman

Well.. I got a reply.. It answers another question (when I connected the Malmö library, only a few books showed up) but doesn’t answer the “Oops, something went wrong” message I get for this library.

Translated and summarized from Swedish it says:

“Kobo’s OverDrive feature only allows you to borrow books that are present in BOTH the library’s OverDrive catalogue AND the Kobo book store. This is the reason that there aren’t that many titles available.”

Vi har fått svar från Kobo via Göteborgs stadsbibliotek och svar lyder som följande:
Det svar jag tidigare fått från Overdrive gällande Kobos Overdrive-funktion är att det endast går att låna titlar i den som förutom att finnas i bibliotekets katalog även finns i Kobos egna butik. Alltså finns det inte så många svenska titlar, senast jag kollade hade de bara titlar från Saga Egmont.

Kind of makes sense in a way, but in one fell swoop it feels like my reader lost 80% of its value...
Old 09-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Well.. I got a reply.. It answers another question (when I connected the Malmö library, only a few books showed up) but doesn’t answer the “Oops, something went wrong” message I get for this library.

“Kobo’s OverDrive feature only allows you to borrow books that are present in BOTH the library’s OverDrive catalogue AND the Kobo book store. This is the reason that there aren’t that many titles available.”

Vi har fått svar från Kobo via Göteborgs stadsbibliotek och svar lyder som följande:
Det svar jag tidigare fått från Overdrive gällande Kobos Overdrive-funktion är att det endast går att låna titlar i den som förutom att finnas i bibliotekets katalog även finns i Kobos egna butik. Alltså finns det inte så många svenska titlar, senast jag kollade hade de bara titlar från Saga Egmont.

Kind of makes sense in a way, but in one fell swoop it feels like my reader lost 80% of its value...

This seems to be highly variable depending on your library and the books you like to read. Some people here say it almost never happens to them while others see it more often.

If your Overdrive library has books that are not in the Kobo store, you should still be able to get them by checking them out on a desktop and downloading, then hook up the Kobo to the desktop and use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer the books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #29
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:

Well, there are some weird exceptions to that, which I've explained in this reply to someone on Reddit.

The collections displayed in the "OverDrive" tab on the "Discover" tab should be mostly consistent with what's displayed on the Libby app (and Web interface), and by "mostly", I mean some elements in the Libby app aren't displayed, and as already mentioned, it only displays books available on both your library's OverDrive instance and the Kobo Store in your region. If you'd like, I can provide screenshots to show what I mean.

Sweden is listed as a supported country for OverDrive on Kobo, according to the latter's support page.

Try this:
  1. On your Kobo e-reader, navigate to the details for a book that should be available.
  2. Tap on the menu button.
  3. Look for a "Borrow with OverDrive" option.

Let me know if you see the option!

Also try borrowing a book on another device, then sync your e-reader, to see if it shows up.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #30
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
OK

I cant try Gothenburg since I dont have library card there, Västra Skaraborg (Lidköping) however have an open application so anyone (swedish) can apply for a library card and lend books immediately (link)
Yesterday I configured a Forma for Härryda library. Login worked fine, but as you got, I also got the "waiting" message. After that nothing (not even the opps).

Guess some of the Swedish libraries have Overdrive configured wrongly.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote