Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #256
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I made an imgur album showing the settings I use when doing an epub to epub conversion for my Aura. Here it is
Hi -- Just got my Aura today, and still poking around.

I'm curious as to why there is the need to do epub to epub conversions. Are there known problems with epubs on the Aura? Is it simply about changing fonts?

Just curious what I should be aware of. The one epub I loaded thus far seems to work fine.

Thanks!
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #257
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
When you have Wifi connected do a sync and if there is a update available to you it will be pushed to you. It won't automatically show or start with the wifi on unless you do a sync. So you don't need to turn it on and wait to see if something is going to happen, just sync your device and when the sync is done you'll know if you have one available or not.
Thanks for that. After plodding through 5 pages of the "Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread" I've only found about 3 tips that are still relevant - which I guess is a good thing, Kobo really are fixing the problems (even if making new ones just as fast) - but this is what I thought was happening after my last Factory Reset, but f****ing Kobo support couldn't possibly tell me that, they would prefer to tell me that it's simply not supportable that I run only Linux systems, so I can't have a desktop app...
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #258
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
How do I sync my Kobo Glo to check for an update without it attempting to download ebooks from kobo that I have already put on the device using Calibre?
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #259
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By going to the Kobo website and deleting the books.

The My Library link has three distinct areas; I'm Reading, Purchased and Trash.

When you go to Reading you can check the box besides each book and then hit the Delete button. Books will be removed from the list and will only remain in Trash. Not to worry, Trash is a misnomer; items stay there until permanently removed by you.

When a book is in Trash it will not sync via either Desktop or WiFi.

ALso, within Kobo Desktop, when your device is connected a little symbol will appear besides each book in your library that will allow you to say sync / don't sync on each book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #260
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Perfect, thanks for the tip.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #261
obionenairobi
obionenairobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The reading section from my Glo:

Code:
[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=99
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=
readingFontSize=23
readingLeftMargin=0
readingLineHeight=1.0
readingRightMargin=0
The 99 is there from earlier.

And before anyone asks:

- The "readingFontSize=23" is what I am playing with at the moment. The device can set it to either 22 or 24. But, manually setting 23 gives a size in between.

- "readingLineHeight=1.0" is left over from before. It doesn't work. The lowest number that seems to make a difference is 1.225.
In my Kobo Touch I do not Reading section.
Do you know it is possible to add the above settings and would this work ?
obionenairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #262
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by obionenairobi View Post
In my Kobo Touch I do not Reading section.
Do you know it is possible to add the above settings and would this work ?
The reason you don't have the settings is because the firmware doesn't write anything to the configuration file that is not different to the defaults. As soon as you change something, the options changed will be stored. But, you are safe to add them manually.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #263
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
HOW TO QUICKLY REFRESH THE SCREEN:

... just double-touch the center area.
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #264
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most people knows how to add fonts to their Kobo: create a folder called fonts in and paste the .ttf files. This can be used fit the readers personal taste, sure - but it can also be used to make the font fit the style of the book.

I have found a font called Old Standard which tries to look like a font used in the late 19th and early 20 century.

http://openfontlibrary.org/en/font/old-standard

The font is way too thin. However, it fit really good with Victorian-style literature, such as content downloaded from gutenberg.org

So if you like old books, give it a try. It is not the most eye-friendly of fonts -- but for some books it looks "right".

(For really old books, try finding a blackletter font ... it takes a few page turns to learn reading it, though. The LCD-like screen of ebook readers would also make it fun to download a LCD-style font such as this: http://openfontlibrary.org/en/font/segment14 {couldn't get that one to work, sorry} )

Last edited by Kasper Hviid; 08-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #265
crath
crath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Brightness issue

Hi all,

Just hoping to spare others similar grief. Twice now, in an attempt to lower the brightness as much as possible for night reading, I have inadvertently made the brightness too low on the overdrive ebook app. What happens then is that the page dims so fast on opening overdrive that it is impossible to see the settings button to fix it. I have read some blogs that say running your finger down the left side of the screen changes the brightness but I have not found this to be the case on my Kobo Arc.
In the end after much frustration I found that by using a bright flashlight in a completely dark room, I could see the text, press on the page number to get the icons at the top to come up. With some trial and error I found the settings button and turned the brightness up. Someone at kobo needs to do something about this. Very frustrating!
All in all though, I love my kobo.

C.
crath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #266
LH07
Enthusiast
LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet
Hi I am using the kobo app and when I first used it I was able to choose which colour of bookmark I wanted, but I can't find that option now i only find the one that it uses automatically can anyone help please?
LH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #267
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Exporting highlights?

As a Kindle PW reader I would like to know if there is a similar clippings service (http://www.clippingsconverter.com) for the Kobo Aura/HD? The only reason why I bought a Kindle was for this reason (exporting my highlights very easily without having to database program). Or how are the highlights exported from the Kobo?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #268
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, there are no equivalent clipping services for the Kobo devices. There is a function in calibre to retrieve them, but I personally don't find it useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #269
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, there are no equivalent clipping services for the Kobo devices. There is a function in calibre to retrieve them, but I personally don't find it useful.
Thanks! What a tragic shame Such a good eReader, but that's a killer for me. Is there any word that Kobo wants to change this?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #270
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Readandread, I'd love to see Kobo add something like this, too. In particular, I'd love to see an "Export to Evernote" -- way more useful for me than the "Share to Facebook" option they already give me.

There ARE options for exporting the clippings/notes from Kobo, though. They are discussed in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226080
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote