Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For the nit-pickers, allow me to be more specific. It is illegal under UK law to "change the format" of copyrighted material WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER.
I read your statement in the context that it could be a legal problem including convertlit in OI. So I thought you referred only to the process and not how it is used. Otherwise I cannot understand how you can say that it could be a legal problem.

So why is it a legal problem in UK to include a conversion program that is perfectly legal to use on non-copyrighted material?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not saying that it necessarily is a problem: I merely point it out as a factor for consideration.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
stxopher
Nameless Being

I don't think Harry is personally saying it's wrong, right or anything like that. He's simply bringing up a point to keep in mind if somebody gets a bug up their posterior about "legislation". You know how panicky the industry gets when they see things changing. They panic enough and then push every "letter of the law" they can.

And yes, they do think this way about format shifting. It's on record that one of the music industry monkeys commented that ripping from a legally purchased CD to move the song to a portable MP3 player for personal use was equivalent to theft. If you wanted that same content on a different device that used a different format then you should pay for a copy in that format (whether or not it's sold in that format).

The enforcement of this mindset varies from country to country so...

On the bright side, a lot of this is starting to be seen as the silliness for which it is as time goes on and more of the population becomes exposed to digital formats. Nothing helps shape law more than the people from the government being put in a position to perform "criminal acts" for doing what they always thought they could do (such as format shifting or moving music from one player to another).

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
I don't think Harry is personally saying it's wrong, right or anything like that. He's simply bringing up a point to keep in mind if somebody gets a bug up their posterior about "legislation". You know how panicky the industry gets when they see things changing. They panic enough and then push every "letter of the law" they can.
Yes, that was precisely what I was saying.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that was precisely what I was saying.
Yes, but you can say wearing a red shirt can be illegal also or can panic somebody to use strange laws. The case you brought up seemed to me to be as absurd if you had said that in the UK it can be legally problematic to wear a red shirt. I mean you need to have some argument to start to worry and I really do not see what kind of argument you can have here.