Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Need sleuth-hounds help for death-dates

I have several books I want to upload, but need to check for copyright status.

First, author "Maggie Browne", pseudonym of Margaret Hamer Andrewes. She has two illustrated by Arthur Rackham that I want to upload.

She apparently started publishing circa 1884. Her last listed book is reported as 1910, but the Rackham illustrations are annotated 1900/1901, so I think there may have been a delay in publication.

Even the wonderful site "General Catalog of Old Books and Authors" has no biography dates for her:
http://www.authorandbookinfo.com/ngcoba/ha2.htm

-------
Then, some artists who illustrated for John Kendrick Bangs ---
J. T. Richards and "G W A" --- "Half-hours with Jimmieboy"
https://archive.org/details/halfhour...ngrich/page/n8
and "F B S" --- "Mantel-Piece Minstrels"
https://archive.org/details/mantelpi...nggoog/page/n6
-------

If anyone can provide information about any of these folks, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for ANY help.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I do believe I will have to go with the "anonymous/pseudonymous" published more than 70 years ago, and push ahead.

I am shocked that the Andrewes lady could have printed so many titles, and there is no data for her anywhere.

Ta!
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I have several books I want to upload, but need to check for copyright status.
-------
and "F B S" --- "Mantel-Piece Minstrels"
https://archive.org/details/mantelpi...nggoog/page/n6
-------

If anyone can provide information about any of these folks, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for ANY help.
F. B. S. is probably Francis Berkeley Smith (1868-1931), according to this:

https://www.williamreesecompany.com/...-other-stories

though I can't find any other art by him to compare.

The other two I can't solve :0(

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Hey, Kim --- thank you!

I did browse through some of the vintage book sellers, but never got lucky.
I am ready to trade in my search skills for a cheap balloon, and then break the balloon.
I am obviously doing something wrong.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I am obviously doing something wrong.
Not necessarily, but here are some of my "secrets"

I usually start with a very precise searchphrase, and then broaden it. Then, if/when I hit something useful, I narrow it again from there - or just go through the first couple of pages.

Also, Google yield somewhat different results depending on location - e.g. I get different results from google.com and google.dk.

When it's about books and authors, searching in Google Books can get you something which the ordinary Google-search doesn't find.

And finally, I get different search-results from "pretending" I am a US-citizen (using a VPN) instead of my ordinary nationality.

It's strange, but I think it has something to do with Google's algoritms trying to predict what I'm looking for (which sometimes is a bl...y nuisance!)

Besides Google, some of the genealogy search sites like FamilySearch and MyHeritage can sometimes yield a clue or two.

For the rest, it's mostly what the Germans call "fingerspitz-gefühl"

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Do a search on "filter bubble"

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/06/st...er-bubble-too/

is interesting.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Hi guys --- thank you very much for the tips.

Maybe I will be able to refine my skills.
I do indeed think that some of my problem is location --- I get lots of hits on Japanese sites, even though I specify using English version of Google. I use DuckDuckGo a lot, but that doesn't seem to give very different results.

Anyway, I will keep chewing away at it, and see if I can improve.