Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
RobSp8
RobSp8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Greetings from Wales!

Hello all! My name is Rob and I live near Bridgend, which is in South Wales. After much deliberation I ordered a Kindle 3 yesterday, delivery is expected on Wednesday I always sign up to a relevant forum for most of my toys/gadgets and interests (CrackBerry for my Blackberry, a forum for my car, several PlayStation 3 websites...), I find they're usually a wealth of information that you just don't get from the manufacturers. So that's how I've ended up here.
I've already built up a small collection of ebooks from Project Guttenburg and free books on Amazon, and I am hoping that portability of the Kindle will increase the amount of reading that I actually do. To go with my Kindle I also ordered a Belkin Grip Kindle sleeve, and would be interested in the thoughts of anyone who has one? I was going to get a much cheaper non-branded one but some the comments about the fit and finish of some of these sleeves put me off. Anyway, roll on delivery. No doubt it will be late...
RobSp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Greetings .... Gutenburg is a good source for books, but the ones here in the Mobilread Library will be formatted with more care .... See my last link

Welcome to Mobileread ….

Do pop into the Kindle Forum for all the tips and tricks.

There is also a Library on Mobileread for some Classic books ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Dye, er, Rob and welcome to MobileRead. I bought my Sony 505 three years ago for essentially the same reasons you are getting a Kindle and I love the thing. I read a LOT more and it is especially good for travel.

Enjoy

BTW, good advice there from GeoffC regarding our Library. Our members carefully format books and post them for download. In fact, I once asked your countrywoman, Patricia Clark, for whom the Library is named, why the Library didn't have a copy of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood and, 20 minutes later it did.

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-06-2011 at 09:51 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
RobSp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Dye,
I find it amusing that an American is aware of this "Welsh in-joke" (for want of a better description), although the correct spelling is Dai
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
RobSp8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Greetings .... Gutenburg is a good source for books, but the ones here in the Mobilread Library will be formatted with more care .... See my last link

Welcome to Mobileread ….

Do pop into the Kindle Forum for all the tips and tricks.

There is also a Library on Mobileread for some Classic books ....
I've had a look through the library, the amount of stuff on there is quite daunting! Another thing that interests me about ebook readers is the potential ease of access to reference material, the CIA World Fact Book looks interesting. Do you know of a free language phrasebook? There is one on Amazon (UK site) called 25 Language Phrasebook from MobileReference but the formatting isn't up to much and not all the sections are linked to from the index, which is a bit useless for a reference book.
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSp8 View Post
I've had a look through the library, the amount of stuff on there is quite daunting! Another thing that interests me about ebook readers is the potential ease of access to reference material, the CIA World Fact Book looks interesting. Do you know of a free language phrasebook? There is one on Amazon (UK site) called 25 Language Phrasebook from MobileReference but the formatting isn't up to much and not all the sections are linked to from the index, which is a bit useless for a reference book.
Sorry, I don't - someone may, though these kind of books are rarely free.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
RobSp8

I've got to say that the version of the King James' Bible in your library is much better than the ones found on Project Guttenburg. I'll have a search around for a phrasebook and report back if I find anything useful.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSp8 View Post
I find it amusing that an American is aware of this "Welsh in-joke" (for want of a better description), although the correct spelling is Dai
I lived in Beds for several years back in the mid-70's and one of my mates at the squash club was Welsh. One of his favorite jokes was about a Welshman walking along the road when an Englishman in a fancy Jaguar brakes to a halt next to him, rolls down the window and yells out, " See here Dai, can you tell me the way to Carmarthen?"

"Hang on" says the Welshman, "How'd you know me name was Dai?"

"Um, I just guessed", answers the Englishman

"Yeah, well you guess the bloody way to Camarthen then"

He was also a big Max Boyce fan whom I thought was hilariously funny.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to MR
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Hope your Kindle arrives soon :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
RobSp8

It's here! Excellent delivery, only dispatched yesterday. Still getting to grips with how it works but it just looks so cool!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Rob. Happy Kindling and Iechyd da. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote