Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
ldespain
ldespain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook, Kindle
Adding Interactivity to ePub File?

I have a concept I'd like to throw out there - is it possible to create an HTML tag (maybe via id="") that would be searchable on an ereader?

For instance, my company has a Study Bible that classifies passages according to topic - it's still chronological but some passages are coded with a little icon to indicate subject matter: "Holy Spirit," "Faith," etc. I'd like the reader to be able to easily find each topic via search.

Could I do this via an alt tag for each icon image? Or possibly have a "drop down" search with all the available topics? There are 12 so it's not hugely complicated. Or would this be a better thing to try as an app?

Thanks!
Lisa
ldespain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

Back before the "Search Engine Optimization" crowd overused them to death you used to be able to specify keywords in a meta tag in HTML.

Place:

<meta name="keywords" content="Holy Spirit, Faith, etc." />

in the <head>...</head> section

Maybe this could be resurrected---as it were?
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
ldespain
ldespain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook, Kindle
That's an interesting idea, but wouldn't that mean each instance of the icon would require a new HTML file?
ldespain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I think the issue is more, 'is there an ereader which could make use of this information'?

For example, in my ePubs (converted from scanned books), I put an HTML comment at the start of each paragraph with the page and paragraph number so I can go diagnose problems in my conversion process. An html comment (<!-- some stuff you like of any kind -->) is entirely legal and can contain anything you want.

However, I wouldn't expect any reader to be able to see or display it (I look at the source to find out where a problem is and then set my converstion to break there).

I have toyed with the idea of an editing ePub reader which would allow proofing and copying on device and more intelligent markup, but that seems like a lot of effort at the moment!

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well... you could add some image/text as a CSS float, and make it an anchor, then you can have some list of links. For adding things that appear in a search but not in the text itself, you could try "display: none", but that depends on how the search works.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert