Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
Cracked button on nook.

I notice yesterday that my nook has a crack on the lower right page turn button. I went to my local b&n store(which is 60 miles from where I live) and they told me to call 1-800-the book and I can just swap it out. I called them today and they told me I can't swap it they have to send me a new one.My question is how is the battery life on the new nooks. Mine is a first fun noiok and it lasts me 5 1/2 days before I have to charge it from 2-3 hours of reading a day.The guy on the phone told me that the first run nooks where made with bad plastic and the new one have a new bezel to prevent it from cracking.I love my nook and feel almost like I am cheating on it with a new one lol.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzasuro View Post
I called them today and they told me I can't swap it they have to send me a new one.
That's what "swap out" means. They send you a brand new one to swap for the one you have, and you send the cracked one back.

As far as I know, there have been no changes to the battery or the electronics. There's no reason to expect different battery life from your new one. But you know what? Try it and see. You've got like 2 weeks to return the old one. If you don't like the battery in the new one, swap the batteries between the two before you send the old one back.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Yer good... no worries.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

Thanks for the replys.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
jdiemart
jdiemart began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I had to swap mine out for the cracked button as well. I read daily off and on throughout the day. Mine charges once a week.
jdiemart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
I just saw this thread last night for the first time.

Wouldn't you know it? This morning, what did I see on MY right-hand page advance? A small crack beginning. :headdesk:

Fortunately, I was riding in a car at the time, and within the half-hour we'd stopped for sandwiches at a little strip mall that includes a B&N. So I went in there to request advice. Sure enough, I got the same advice, to call (800)THE-BOOK to initiate the replacement/return procedure.

My new device should arrive within 3-5 business days.

I guess that's what I get for reading War and Peace on my device and wearing out the page advance button.

I'm glad to hear that there's been a design tweak since the first-run devices hit the market. I really love this ereader and I've been recommending it to anyone who'll listen, so I plan to continue making lots of use of my page-advance buttons.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

I am glad they tweeked the design. I LOVE my nook. My B&n wanted me to swap out my old one for one of there new ones but then I called 1-800-the-book they said I had to have one sent and I coulsn't get one from the store lol.My nook even survived a house fire .
It was the only thing I had in my hand when I saw the smoke lol.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

When I get my new nook do I unregister the old one and just register the new one after that?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzasuro View Post
When I get my new nook do I unregister the old one and just register the new one after that?
Unregister your old one and register your new one since they are connected to your credit card.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
sharon888
sharon888 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Okay To Use Page Button on Wi Fi Nook?

I just bought a WiFi Nook and am liking it a lot. Does this model have the new design that prevents the bezel it from cracking? I like using the page back and forward buttons, but had been trying out the "swipe" method as well. So far I like using the buttons better.

Thanks!
sharon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon888 View Post
I just bought a WiFi Nook and am liking it a lot. Does this model have the new design that prevents the bezel it from cracking? I like using the page back and forward buttons, but had been trying out the "swipe" method as well. So far I like using the buttons better.

Thanks!
you should be ok with the your new nook. It was the first wave of nooks that had the design flaw.

as far as page turning. Oh I was like you and thought it was just easier to page turn. but now that I've got it down pat, I almost exclusive page turn by finger swiping.

check out the thread I started a while back. Alot of people have some great suggestions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=finger+swipe

Last edited by boswd; 07-13-2010 at 11:08 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon888 View Post

Thanks!
I just got my replacement nook a couple days ago. There is a noticeable difference between the way the page advance/back buttons feel when I use them now, versus the way it felt to click on them on the original nook (which was ordered shortly after they hit the market).

I'm not sure what they changed between the original and current designs, but it's clear that the page buttons have been modified in some way. I don't expect to run into the same problem with the new one as I had before. I would presume that anyone who's buying a nook now will have no problem with the buttons.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

I just finally got my replacement nook and I went to unregister it and It stayed on the "unregistering" screen for 45 minutes so I just packed it and when I went online it says I already unregistered it. I don't have a printer so I couldn't print off the UPS shipment label.
At the UPS store I had to pay $2.63 to go onto there computer to print it off lol.The New nook seems slightly lighter and the buttons feels a little different. It was a fun adventure.