Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Walmart

Kobo Nia -- $65 -- website --> details -- limited time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
If anyone is interested in the Kobo Nia, there is a great offer on it on Walmart right now. Only $65. Great price for a back-up reader.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Nia-...i-Fi/441533441

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-24-2022 at 03:02 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Costco

Black Friday Ad Posted -- ad scan -- exp varies
  • BF Event 1 --- 31 O~13 N --- pg 01~09 --- Holiday Savings

• BF Event 2 --- 14~28 Nov --- pg 10~22 --- Holiday Savings
  • BF Event 3 --- 24~24 Nov --- pg 23~23 --- Thanksgiving --- stores closed
  • BF Event 4 --- 25~28 Nov --- pg 24~30 --- Black Friday
  • Cyber Mon --- 28~28 Nov --- pg 31~31 --- Cyber Monday
Quote:
Costco Black Friday Sale Ad Posted

Posted on 10/21/22

We have just posted Costco's Black Friday ad. View the ad here. As always, Costco includes their Black Friday sale as part of a bigger Holiday Savings book. When viewing the ad, note that page 23 features online-only Thanksgiving deals and the Black Friday deals start on page 24.

The beginning of this ad features additional sets deals valid October 31st through the 13th, as well as November 14th through the 28th. Costco will once again be closed on Thanksgiving Day.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-16-2022 at 03:18 AM.
Advert
Old 10-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #48
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would certainly prefer to have a built-in CD drive. I often burn mp3 CDs for my home stereo.
This last part will be hard to find, they don't include a CD Drive in almost all laptops, you might be able to find a desktop that includes it.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #49
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
This last part will be hard to find, they don't include a CD Drive in almost all laptops, you might be able to find a desktop that includes it.
I haven't even seen a CD / DVD / Blu-ray drive in a desktop for a long time. You can get them but they aren't a standard feature anymore. I haven't looked for one in a laptop in a long time but I imagine they are few and far between.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My previous laptop came with the Blu-Ray drive. I have the drive and a cable I can use I want to connect it to USB on the current laptop.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #51
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Getting an optical drive for a desktop is easy, since you can build your own desktop. For laptops you pretty much have to rely on an external USB optical drive these days, unless you buy a used laptop.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #52
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
My Windows 11 laptop doesn't have a CD Rom.

But Microsft sells a full version of Word for $80 as a download. And they usually have a Black Friday sale. Not that I want to pay for it again, but that will probably be the way I go when I eventually replace my desktop.

They do bury the option to buy it on their website. But you don't need to "upgrade" to their subsciption version. (I use Word a lot but am not a fan of subscriptions).
You should be able to copy the contents of your install CD to the laptop and install it from that. There's a lot of ways to copy it over, but the easiest may be to make an archive (zip/rar/7zip) of the CD's contents, upload that to any online storage you have (Dropbox, etc.), download it on your laptop and extract the archive. As long as you have the serial number to register it, that should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Getting an optical drive for a desktop is easy, since you can build your own desktop. For laptops you pretty much have to rely on an external USB optical drive these days, unless you buy a used laptop.
And if you get a pre-built desktop computer, you can often add an optical drive to it. Just don't get one of the mini cases that have no expansion options. A small tower-sized computer will have multiple slots for them. If the motherboard doesn't have additional SATA slots, you can get an addon card with more of them as well.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:35 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Target

Weekly Black Friday Deals -- ad scan -- 23~29 Oct
Quote:
Target Launches Early Black Friday Deals This Week

Posted on 10/23/22

As we covered earlier, Target is once again featuring what they call Black Friday Deals in their weekly ads leading up to Black Friday. This week's specials focus on home, kitchen and electronics. Target also has a section with up to 50% off select toys, home items and more. View those deals here.

As mentioned this week you'll find Early Black Friday Deals on home items, kitchen gear and electronics, including several TVs. Also be sure to check your Target Circle offers as Target has been sending out several targeted (no pun intended) offers for either $ or % off purchases.
Quote:
Next Week's Target Sale Ad Posted with New Black Friday Deals

Posted on 10/21/22

Time for another sneak peek at some of Target's upcoming deals. We've just posted the 26-page Target weekly sale ad for next week. The deals in this ad start on Sunday, October 23rd and run through Saturday the 29th, both in stores and online on Target.com.

The ad features a new set of Target's early Black Friday Deals on pages 6 through 8 of the ad. This week's Black Friday deals focus on home, kitchen and tech deals. You'll find deep discounts on printers, Xbox consoles, TVs, headphones, kitchen gear and more.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-23-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:49 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
And if you get a pre-built desktop computer, you can often add an optical drive to it. Just don't get one of the mini cases that have no expansion options. A small tower-sized computer will have multiple slots for them. If the motherboard doesn't have additional SATA slots, you can get an addon card with more of them as well.
If it is a desktop, then a Blu-Ray drive may be able to come pre-installed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just built my computer about 3 months ago. I did not even consider adding an optical drive, even one that I took out of a previous build. I just haven't needed to use one in years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #56
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it is a desktop, then a Blu-Ray drive may be able to come pre-installed.
The whole point of the discussion is being able to get an optical drive in a pre-built desktop is becoming rare, so we were offering suggestions on what to do if the desktop purchased doesn't have one available.

I looked through Dell's offerings and most of the lower end models that consumers will buy don't even have an option to add an optical drive. However, they do include a lovely cosmetic slot molded into the case to make it look like there's one there. Perhaps you saw those and thought they really include optical drives?
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:50 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

When it comes to computers, I'm cheap. My main computer is a $79 Chromebook I picked up from Best Buy during Amazon's Prime Day (sorry Amazon, you're not the only game in town during your big events). It replaced an older Chromebook that I'm keeping as a backup.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:53 AM   #58
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
The whole point of the discussion is being able to get an optical drive in a pre-built desktop is becoming rare, so we were offering suggestions on what to do if the desktop purchased doesn't have one available.

I looked through Dell's offerings and most of the lower end models that consumers will buy don't even have an option to add an optical drive. However, they do include a lovely cosmetic slot molded into the case to make it look like there's one there. Perhaps you saw those and thought they really include optical drives?
Dell is most likely to be my choice for a desktop. I was OK (not happy, but OK) with the prices of the models that seem to have specs comparable to what I haven now, and those did offer the optical drive option.

Probably a dumb question, but can someone tell me what it means when the computer has, e.g., 256GB solid state drive and 1TB hard drive? I thought it was one or the other.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #59
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Probably a dumb question, but can someone tell me what it means when the computer has, e.g., 256GB solid state drive and 1TB hard drive? I thought it was one or the other.
No it will have 2 disks if it states that. Windows will be installed on the 256GB SSD disk and the setup will ensure that your data is on the 1TB hard drive.
It is a cost saving measure as the small SSD costs Dell about $10 while the hard drive will be about $25. If only 1 large SSD was installed it would cost Dell about $50. More profit for them.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #60
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
No it will have 2 disks if it states that. Windows will be installed on the 256GB SSD disk and the setup will ensure that your data is on the 1TB hard drive.
It is a cost saving measure as the small SSD costs Dell about $10 while the hard drive will be about $25. If only 1 large SSD was installed it would cost Dell about $50. More profit for them.
Thanks for the info.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote