Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #481
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you cannot use 3.48 and 5.x. The database was changed and 3.48 is no longer compatible. However, 4.23 is compatible with the new Database. So you can install the portable 4.23.
But the QtWebkit renderer based version 3.48 Viewer has 'features/behaviours' that are different in the QtWebengine based version 4/5 Viewer.

Do you have a reference of some sort to the database changes. I am able to view the same book from the same library in Versions 3.48 portable, 4.23 64 bit and 5.01 32 bit.

BR
Old 09-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #482
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But the QtWebkit renderer based version 3.48 Viewer has 'features/behaviours' that are different in the QtWebengine based version 4/5 Viewer.

Do you have a reference of some sort to the database changes. I am able to view the same book from the same library in Versions 3.48 portable, 4.23 64 bit and 5.01 32 bit.

BR
Kovid mentioned the database change someplace on MR.
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #483
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
This is what Kovid said in very first post this thread here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Now some warnings.

Since all annotations are stored in the calibre database and can be browsed centrally using the new annotations browser tool, the database structure has changed. You can run both calibre 4.20 and the betas on the same libraries, however, earlier releases may or may not work, so only run the betas if your main calibre is up-to-date at version 4.20 or newer.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #484
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not going to test myself but I would not be surprised if opening a 5.xx library in 3.48 results in the annotations going missing.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #485
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
This is what Kovid said in very first post this thread here:
I'd forgotten that.

I share my 'annotations' with other people, so I have no use for the viewer's new annotation feature.

BR
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #486
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The option to store annotations inside the ePub file is still available in ebook-viewer and I assume that it works the same as before. I don't use it myself though (the constantly-changing files makes a mess of my incremental backups).

I noted that my previous-added bookmarks appeared in the annotation browser after I opened it in ebook-viewer.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-25-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #487
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Congrats Kovid! Thanks for the hard work!
Old 09-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #488
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #489
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I really do like the new annotation viewer. It's nice to be able to see all the stuff I bookmarked/highlighted in one place.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #490
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah its a handy way to find things one has noted in the past.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #491
Obscured
Enthusiast
Obscured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook P78; Onyx Boox Note Air 2
Sorry if this has been mentioned before...When I open a pdf in calibre ebook viewer the highlighting experience is very different from the main Calibre program. The ebook viewer has the new highlights and annotation tools; the main program doesn't. Is this true only for pdfs?
The ebook viewer creates a new copy of the pdf with the annotations and highlights and leaves an intact original. Good idea but some sort of file name change might help the user.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #492
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre doesnt have a PDF viewer. When you open PDFs they will open in whatever the default PDF vieweing program is on your machine.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:54 AM   #493
pleiadesc
Connoisseur
pleiadesc began at the beginning.

Thank you for adding the highlight feature for epub. I don't like the highlights added to the books so I untick the option in the preference. I would like to know where does calibre store the highlights?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #494
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiadesc View Post
Thank you for adding the highlight feature for epub. I don't like the highlights added to the books so I untick the option in the preference. I would like to know where does calibre store the highlights?
See post #483

BR
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #495
pleiadesc
Connoisseur
pleiadesc began at the beginning.

Thank you BR, I missed that.
Closed Thread