Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think you'll run into problems with what people consider spoilers. And how long they want them to apply. In the old days when I belonged to various Yahoo groups, we tended to limit spoilers to the first month after a book was released. I've had people growl at me here if I commented too freely on a 10 year old book.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'd prefer to have reviewers use "spoiler" tags if their reviews contained such. I sometimes like to read reviews to get ideas for books or to help me decide if a book I'm thinking about would be right for me. If I didn't know whether a review contained spoilers or not it would keep me from using the reviews posted. I suspect this would be the case for others as well.

What you're referring to is more a book discussion thread--something I see as being different from a review thread. I'd join a discussion threat to discuss my feelings about a book after reading it, I read through a review thread to get other peoples' opinions to help decide if I want to read the book or not.
I agree. If I read a review it's likely because I want to get an idea if a given book is one I would enjoy reading or not. So I wouldn't want plot points being given away before hand. And I think that the reason for reading a review is to see if it is worth spending my $ on or not. No one wants to buy junk after all. We all want to get our money's worth when we buy something. That's why people read reviews and look at customer feedback for places like Amazon and Ebay. To see if the product is likely to be worth their time and money or not.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #33
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
If threads were limited to one book then "Includes Spoilers' could be put in the thread title.

This would allow those who did not want to risk seeing the spoilers to avoid threads which have reviews containing spoilers.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #34
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think you'll run into problems with what people consider spoilers.
Ah yes. Without going into detail a book review is always going to spoil it somewhere. Otherwise a spoiler free review is indistinguishable from the next. I believe a review is supposed to be more than just a blurp.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #35
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'd prefer to have reviewers use "spoiler" tags if their reviews contained such. I sometimes like to read reviews to get ideas for books or to help me decide if a book I'm thinking about would be right for me. If I didn't know whether a review contained spoilers or not it would keep me from using the reviews posted. I suspect this would be the case for others as well.

What you're referring to is more a book discussion thread--something I see as being different from a review thread. I'd join a discussion threat to discuss my feelings about a book after reading it, I read through a review thread to get other peoples' opinions to help decide if I want to read the book or not.
I agree - a discussion thread is different from a review. It is possible to post a review that doesn't give away plot points beyond what's in the book blurb. The reviewer can say whether or not he/she thought the book was well written, entertaining, thought-provoking, full of errors, fast-paced, slow-moving, etc.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Honestly, I avoid book reviews because they have too many spoilers today. I prefer the short "I liked it because ..." or " I didn't like it because...." or simply "it wasn't my cup of tea."
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #37
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mostly, when I post a discussion or review of a book here, it's a very old book. Such as "Seven Days to Never", 1956. Or the Count of Monte Cristo, 150 years old. Spoiler time is over.

Like discussing Genesis (Spoiler alert: Adam and Eve unhappy ending.)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #38
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Mostly, when I post a discussion or review of a book here, it's a very old book. Such as "Seven Days to Never", 1956. Or the Count of Monte Cristo, 150 years old. Spoiler time is over.

Like discussing Genesis (Spoiler alert: Adam and Eve unhappy ending.)
What? Ahhh Drat!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Yep. Rosebud is a sled, To Serve Man is a cookbook, and "OMG, it's the Statue of Liberty buried up to her oxters!"

That said, for recentish stuff it's good when a review starts with generalities so you can cut yourself off in time. The issue is where you draw the recentish line.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yep. Rosebud is a sled, To Serve Man is a cookbook, and "OMG, it's the Statue of Liberty buried up to her oxters!"

That said, for recentish stuff it's good when a review starts with generalities so you can cut yourself off in time. The issue is where you draw the recentish line.
But even the old stuff is new to some people. Giving away endings is a no-no in my book, regardless of how old or well-known something is.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #41
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I doubt we'd ever reach a board consensus on how new is "recentish", but no matter the age of the book it shouldn't be a hardship for a reviewer to type the word "SPOILERS" as a warning if it applies.

I would probably assume any subsequent posts/discussion by other people might go into more detail/spoilers, but it would be nice to know whether the initial review contained spoilers.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Yep. Rosebud is a ....
Really not cool! Please don't blurt out the endings to classics in random threads.

Those are all new to someone.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Really not cool! Those are all new to someone.
Since I didn't identify the works in question, I figured it was safe. If people want to google the references, that's their lookout.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Since I didn't identify the works in question, I figured it was safe. If people want to google the references, that's their lookout.
I picture someone sitting down to watch a classic film and then realizing, "So that's what she meant!"
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #45
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
But seriously, if you can't enjoy that film knowing what Rosebud is, you should be watching Transformers anyway.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote