Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Haiku?

Are there any fans or fanatics of Japanese poetry here who can recommend me books both of and on Haiku? I've always been fascinated by the distilled brevity of Haiku, but haven't gotten around to really checking into it before now. So far I only have an old copy of Peter Beilenson's "Japanese Haiku", but I'd like to pick up a good book on its history, as well as some collections of the acknowledged masters from Basho to Shiki.

E-books if possible, but paper books are certainly also of interest.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I'd be interested in this as well!
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent! I rather thought I might be alone...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's been a while since I went through my Heian-to-Tokugawa Japanese phase, but I recall Donald Keene having some rather good books on Japanese literature, some of which are now available in e-book and non-Agency, so you can use discount coupons to take the prices down further if you get them from Kobo.

He covered haiku, waka, renga, and other classical forms in his various anthologies of Japanese literature, which IIRC also had some nice historical background essays/commentary on the art forms and the artists.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the titles, but I think that "Seeds in the Heart" (apparently not e-booked) was the major one I checked out of the library which had that stuff. He's got plenty of print-only volumes out, so probably browsing through Amazon's Look Inside feature to see if there's anything which particularly grabs you is the best bet if you're willing to splurge or can raid a well stocked library.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-21-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Fix the Kindle-available links because of course he's not offering any freebies in that category.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard

Donald Keene, of course... I read "Sources of Japanese Tradition" of which he's a co-editor, a good while back, but for some reason his name didn't spring to mind. Thanks a lot for bringing him up and for the specific suggestions!
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to help.

You should get this one if you're buying any of the print-only books: World Within Walls.

It's currently deep-discount bargain priced at only $15 and it's also part 2 of Keene's 4-book major overview series of Japanese lit (which started with Seeds in the Heart which is $48) and specifically says it comprehensively covers the haiku and other forms of the time that Basho was around.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard

Fabulous, I'll certainly pick that up. In fact I'll probably pick up the whole series while I'm at it.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

For some reason, they're weirdly mis-numbered in Amazon's listings, but this Wikipedia article gives the correct order. Wikipedia incidentally also says that Keene's got a dedicated volume of Basho translations available, alongside his other lengthy credits.

Oh, and here's the thread where we keep the currently-valid Kobo discount coupons if you're getting the Keene volumes that are out as e-books as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard

Yup, I had a look at both those Wiki articles (thank you Wiki, where would I be without you). On second thought I think I'll make do with volumes one and two, at least for now. I also saw his translation of Basho, but I think perhaps I might pick up "Basho: The Complete Haiku" instead. Again, at least for now. Later on, when I've read Keene's first two volumes I should have a better idea how to proceed.

Thanks again Drake-san; much appreciated!