Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Winter Reading

What books do you read over the winter? Do you prefer to snuggle up with a wintry Dickens, or read about sun-drenched beaches?

What are your favourite winter reads?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I don't have seasonal preferences in reading.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In winter, my mix is more toward non-fiction and heavier reading, as the weather is not only conducive to hunkering down, it pretty much demands it. My reading goals tend to reflect this, which is why they can become unstuck in the summer, when not only does lighter fare appeal, more of my "reading" is done via audiobooks. My mix there is for lighter books overall, too, especially the books I listen to while I'm swimming.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The seasonal part of my reading tends to be oriented towards book release schedules rather than weather. We are past the October releases, so generally I tend to either read books that have fallen down a bit in the "to be read" list or re-read books. No particular style of book, since I normally have several fiction and non-fiction books going at a time depending on my moods.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I don't have seasonal preferences in reading.
I don't think I have a seasonal preference. But nearly ten years of reading is posted here at MobileRead, if anyone fancies doing an analysis!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not have seasonal or Holiday reading preferences.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think I have a seasonal preference. But nearly ten years of reading is posted here at MobileRead, if anyone fancies doing an analysis!
Mine is all in a spreadsheet, so if anyone sees a trend here let me know.

Maybe a slight early year preference for YA books. But I'm not very consistent with those tags so I'm skeptical. I am consistent in tagging specific genres but not the YA/Childrens/Middle Grade labels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seasonal Trends.png
Views:	211
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	175150  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I may be more prone to read holiday stories during the winter, but generally, I've no seasonal reading preferences.

My day to day preferences are more guided by time of day. I read mostly "harmless" fiction before sleep. For example, reading about Chinese prisons, written by a Chinese Poet who spent time in them, is not helpful for restful sleep. I need the full light of day for such books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I don't have seasonal habits as others here have said, but I will try and read The Lord of the Rings around Christmas at least every other year.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I don't have seasonal habits as others here have said, but I will try and read The Lord of the Rings around Christmas at least every other year.
I do like to listen to A Christmas Carol each year. I try to alternate between Jim Dale's version and Tim Curry's version. Both are excellent.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
When I've finished a very silly comedy downloaded from SmashWords, I intend to read An English Murder by Cyril Hare. Friends and family gather in Warbeck Hall for Christmas and are snowed in. One of them is murdered. It's basically a quaint detective story, presumably of the Christie type.

I may then re-read some old Christie's. I've lost track of which of hers I've read, but it's been quite a few. Many years ago when I took in lodgers, I used to swap detective novels with one of them: mostly Agatha and Ellis Peters. Both make great winter reading and it's been decades, so hopefully I've forgotten the plots.

One story I hate, because it makes me sad, is A Christmas Carol. So I won't be reading, or watching that this winter.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Mine is all in a spreadsheet, so if anyone sees a trend here let me know.[...]
Well it seems to me that you read more around the equinoxes rather than the solstices, which seems curious. I agree that the YA trend early in the year looks pretty weak. There is a similarly weak trend to avoid thrillers in November and December, but that might just be part of the general drop off coming to the December solstice.

We need these schematics for everyone, I'm sure we could come up with some sort of horoscope or something

I am not aware of having any seasonal preferences, but I don't have stat's to prove it. I know my reading is very mood driven, and season can influence mood, so there may be preferences I am not aware of ... but I suspect most tendencies would be overshadowed by work. When work is heavy I tend to read more non-fiction, short fiction and stand-alones, when work eases off I can get back into epics and series (so probably more fantasy).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm like Darzin in that I run all mine in a big spreadsheet. My pivot chart is attached but is not sorted by month read. I can say I am more likely to settle in with big tomes in the winter because there is little daylight or comfortable temperatures to be anywhere else than in with a book and my cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pivot Chart.png
Views:	178
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	175203  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #14
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm like Darzin in that I run all mine in a big spreadsheet. My pivot chart is attached but is not sorted by month read. I can say I am more likely to settle in with big tomes in the winter because there is little daylight or comfortable temperatures to be anywhere else than in with a book and my cats.
Same here - winter is the best season for more ambitious reads. I also find winter’s ambiance best for reading series fiction. I can delve in guilt free, without the nagging feeling that I should be ‘doing something productive’.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no seasonal reading scheduled.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosy, sun, winter reads