Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Hardware Event on 25 Sep

Amazon announces hardware event on September 25th

Quote:
Fall tech announcement season is here, and Amazon is the next up to bat: the company just announced its next big hardware event for September 25th.

Details are slim, with the company only promising that it’ll “share some new things from the Amazon Devices and Services team,” but if past years are any indication, expect a whole pile of Amazon Echo and Amazon Fire TV-related hardware announcements — along with a possible surprise or two.
Release Dates for Current Amazon Devices

Kindle
Fire Tab
Amz Echo
Fire TV

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-13-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added devices and release dates
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think we will see much related to ebook readers. Every current Kindle version was updated within the last year and is not due for another hardware update until 2020 or even 2021.

Only possibility would be a completely new device above the Oasis. Maybe an 8-10 inch e-reader.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
I don't think we will see much related to ebook readers. Every current Kindle version was updated within the last year and is not due for another hardware update until 2020 or even 2021.

Only possibility would be a completely new device above the Oasis. Maybe an 8-10 inch e-reader.
Or that new Voyage GoodEReader keeps rambling on about.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Wouldn't surprise me to see something rather minor like a new variant of an existing kindle, say, different color or amount of storage.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like Amazon as a store. But I don't care about any of their hardware.

Kindles are okay, but I prefer Kobo, even though I buy my books from Amazon.

I have a Fire tablet, but didn't care for it. It sits uncharged.

I like my Google Speaker, but have no interest in any of their Alexa devices.

Am I the only one?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Wouldn't surprise me to see something rather minor like a new variant of an existing kindle, say, different color or amount of storage.
A white Paperwhite for example. But no Kindle will be announced at this event. I don’t think a new Fire tablet would merit mention, either.

Honestly, there are already so many Echo and FireTV variants already, and I already have no little interest in future models.

Not interested in Alexa for car or smart home or security stuff either.

That’s right, Amazon: I dare you to get me to buy some hardware!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added a chart of the release dates for current Amazon devices in the opening post. This will give you an idea of which devices are due for upgrades. I still have to add Fire TV devices, so bear with me.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Am I the only one?
Generally I'd say you are not the only one... but I have to confess the Kindle has very slyly won over not just myself but my previously anti-Amazon hubby. It just works, and it does it well. Kobo is good too, don't get me wrong (I swap between Kindle and Kobo)... but the newer devices haven't won me over - they keep messing around with the design. I actually *like* the fact that the Kindles have pretty much kept the same form factor for years. Don't mess with a good thing!

I won't be holding my breath for any of the other devices though. I have no interest in Alexa... We have a Google Home Mini, but only because it cost us $0 and we wanted to play with it...but don't use it much at all to be honest. "Smart devices" still leave me feeling uneasy generally so I will not be a quick adopter.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 AM   #9
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
When was the last time Amazon announced a kindle ereader at an event of this nature?

Perhaps We'll see some new device... Vesta robot?

My dream.... new Kindle, 11-13 inch. Color reflective screen. Solar charger incorporated. thin, light and cheap. For dreaming...
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Am I the only one?
You aren't the only one. I've bought a few over the years, but rarely use them. Right now, I've got a paperwhite in my car as my back up emergency ebook reader, but use my Kobo when I'm in a situation when I want and eInk reader (outside mostly). The paperwhite is mostly so I can easily remove the deDRM from books that I buy from Amazon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post
When was the last time Amazon announced a kindle ereader at an event of this nature?

Perhaps We'll see some new device... Vesta robot?

My dream.... new Kindle, 11-13 inch. Color reflective screen. Solar charger incorporated. thin, light and cheap. For dreaming...
That would be a new Fire HD tablet at larger then 10".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Or that new Voyage GoodEReader keeps rambling on about.
What's sad about this is we all know how unlikely this is, but that is probably near the top of the wishlist for so many of us from what I have seen here, on other forums, and on e-reader sites.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I really doubt we'll hear anything new about an e-reader either. It will probably be more Alexa microwaves or something.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

It's definitely too soon for an ereader, unless Amazon goes crazy and introduces another size. The Basic and Oasis were both upgraded this year and the Paperwhite is not even a year-old yet.

I could see an upgrade on the 2-yo Fire HD 10, but not the other two. The Fire 7 was upgraded this year and the HD 8 was upgraded last year.

The Echo 2 is 2-yo now, so an upgrade here isn't unreasonable. The Plus 2 and the Dot 3 were both upgraded last year, so don't expect anything there.

I also wouldn't expect any upgrades for the Echo Shows, since the Show 5 is brand new this year and the Show 10 is only a year-old.

The Echo Spot on the other hand is gong on 2-yo and no longer has a viable role in the lineup ever since the Show 5 was introduced this year. I see Amazon phasing the Spot out and pushing the Show 5 in it's place.

I never followed Fire TV (I use Roku), so I have nothing to say about it at this time.

As others have pointed out, the field is wide open for additional Alexa devices for our smart homes, smart cars, smart offices, smart handhelds, etc.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
What's sad about this is we all know how unlikely this is, but that is probably near the top of the wishlist for so many of us from what I have seen here, on other forums, and on e-reader sites.
Agreed. I won a Kindle Voyage on Shop Goodwill last weekend, but they still haven't shipped it. I'm trying to be patient. I'm guessing it won't ship until at least Monday now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote