Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle For Android Taking up 1GB!

My Kindle for Android 4.3.0.3.8 data keeps growing! I clear the data each time but that doesn't seem to stop it. Since this started with the last two updates it will get up to 500MB but tonight it was 1GB. I have uninstall and reinstalled.

Is this normal?!? On my Kindle Fire my Kindle data takes up about 250MB. I only have less than 20 books on it.

After clearing the data and letting it run the data is at 250MB which is normal. This has to be bug!

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: I think it jumps in size each time it syncs! It just went from 250MB to 400MB now to 665MB now it's back at 1GB again!

Each time it syncs it the data gets larger. This is scary!

Now it's throwing random books on the carousel and force closing.

This app is gone crazy!

It's at 1.08GB and wont even open now.

It seems to bug is activated when you hit the manual sync button. Once activated it doesn't matter if you manual sync or auto sync. The data keeps growing every sync. It can jump from 100+ to 300+ in one sync. I have sent feedback from the app on my findings.

It also seems Time Left To Read is broken now. It says at 1 minute no matter what book you pick.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-16-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did another uninstall and deleted all folders. Reinstalled had to clear data twice to get it to work so far the data is at 250MB as long as I don't hit Sync it shouldn't go nuts I hope.
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This is on your Nexus? I didn't put that app on mine. I don't like the Kindle app.

I hope that solves the problem!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Maybe 1 Gb is normal for that App. It may spread each eBook for reading. How much memory do you have?

On the HDX 2013 my System Applications (includes the reading app) uses 724 Mb and my eBooks use 203 Mb. That's close to 1 Gb.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I know the app kept getting bigger and bigger on my Android phone and finally I just attempted to uninstall it, which didn't really remove it since it's one of those bundled apps that came on the phone. The internal card on the phone is only 1 gb so I have to be rather judicious with my storage.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My Kindle for Android 4.3.0.3.8 data keeps growing! I clear the data each time but that doesn't seem to stop it. Since this started with the last two updates it will get up to 500MB but tonight it was 1GB. I have uninstall and reinstalled.

Is this normal?!? On my Kindle Fire my Kindle data takes up about 250MB. I only have less than 20 books on it.

After clearing the data and letting it run the data is at 250MB which is normal. This has to be bug!

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: I think it jumps in size each time it syncs! It just went from 250MB to 400MB now to 665MB now it's back at 1GB again!

Each time it syncs it the data gets larger. This is scary!

Now it's throwing random books on the carousel and force closing.

This app is gone crazy!

It's at 1.08GB and wont even open now.

It seems to bug is activated when you hit the manual sync button. Once activated it doesn't matter if you manual sync or auto sync. The data keeps growing every sync. It can jump from 100+ to 300+ in one sync. I have sent feedback from the app on my findings.

It also seems Time Left To Read is broken now. It says at 1 minute no matter what book you pick.
The Time Left in Whatever feature has never worked correctly for me in Kindle for Android or on my PW2.

I went to look up my data size and info for my Kindle app on my Nexus 7.2. I'm running 4.2.0.151 and data storage is only 90.94 Mb.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I researched more using the Manage feature from the GSam app. I found that "Amazon Kindle," the reading app, has 9 Mb in the app and 174 Mb of data. My eBooks have 204 Mb.

Thus, my total eBook reading usage on the HDX 2013 is 387 Mb.

My device is using 4.57 Gb and has 21.11 Gb free. I purchased 32 Gb so the rest must be taken up by system files. My main use is 1.78 Gb for 378 items of Music.

By the way, GSam shows my Battery Life from a Complete Charge is 12 hours and 33 minutes and my Screen On time is 8 hours and 35 minutes.

If your Nexus has 32 Gb of memory, 1 Gb for a Kindle reading app is NOT significant since porting the app to non-Kindle devices must require at least 250 Mb to 500 Mb of code.

@JSWinden: If you have the GSam Battery Monitor installed, look for the Kindle Reading App under GSam Main Screen / App Usage / Amazon Kindle / Manage.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-16-2013 at 12:17 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Isn't it syncing books from your Kindle Library to the device? Look into your Android Settings under Accounts. Maybe Amazon is there, and you may be able to disable syncing.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
This is on your Nexus? I didn't put that app on mine. I don't like the Kindle app.

I hope that solves the problem!
Yes! It's a bug. It only happens if you touch the manual sync button on the app. If it auto syncs it stays at 250MB any only goes up 1MB if you add a new book and so on which is totally normal.

If I hit manual sync button the bug activates. It got up to 3GB last night before I click clear data. The app started crashing after 1.8GB then it threw every book I own on the carousel in random order! Talk about a really bad bug! Whatever you do if you are using this app don't hit that button! The only way to fix it is to clear the data which resets it back to new status. You lose all your book pages place and everything and have to open up each one sync to the location.

I've never seen a bug that is this bad! I'm going to email them again as I have heard nothing back so I am not sure if the Feedback works on the latest versions. Usually I hear something back within an hour after submitting feedback.

What happened what I had my app manager open which lists app by size and I noticed the Kindle app was over 1GB and nearly fainted! I did think 500MB was pretty bad but watching it jump size on every sync was insane!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Isn't it syncing books from your Kindle Library to the device? Look into your Android Settings under Accounts. Maybe Amazon is there, and you may be able to disable syncing.
No it doesn't work like that but the bug only activates if I hit the manual sync button. I did several hours of testing last night and it was acting normal till I hit that button them it kept growing on every sync. It syncs like every time you open the app or every 10 minutes I think it is.

So as long as I don't hit the button I should be okay. Auto sync works fine just manual sync is broke and it's broke BIG TIME!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I researched more using the Manage feature from the GSam app. I found that "Amazon Kindle," the reading app, has 9 Mb in the app and 174 Mb of data. My eBooks have 204 Mb.

Thus, my total eBook reading usage on the HDX 2013 is 387 Mb.

My device is using 4.57 Gb and has 21.11 Gb free. I purchased 32 Gb so the rest must be taken up by system files. My main use is 1.78 Gb for 378 items of Music.

By the way, GSam shows my Battery Life from a Complete Charge is 12 hours and 33 minutes and my Screen On time is 8 hours and 35 minutes.

If your Nexus has 32 Gb of memory, 1 Gb for a Kindle reading app is NOT significant since porting the app to non-Kindle devices must require at least 250 Mb to 500 Mb of code.

@JSWinden: If you have the GSam Battery Monitor installed, look for the Kindle Reading App under GSam Main Screen / App Usage / Amazon Kindle / Manage.
I just go to Kindle app info page in my tablet's settings you want the amount under Data. See the attached screenshot I circled the Data area and put an arrow where the how much data the app uses is. That number was over 2GB last night. As you can see if the shot that it's now at the right size. As long as I don't hit the broken manual sync button it should stay within normal range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleData.png
Views:	494
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	116787  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Manual sync does not seem to change storage on my Xoom (4.1.2). So it may be something affecting later versions. Seems like you should be able to identify location of files that are chewing up space, e.g. some temp files that are not getting cleaned up.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Manual sync does not seem to change storage on my Xoom (4.1.2). So it may be something affecting later versions. Seems like you should be able to identify location of files that are chewing up space, e.g. some temp files that are not getting cleaned up.
I figure it's a KitKat bug of some type with the Kindle app. I am not rooted so I wouldn't even know where to look where the database file is kept on the Nexus 7.

The older versions which I do have are not KitKat compatible.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I figure it's a KitKat bug of some type with the Kindle app. I am not rooted so I wouldn't even know where to look where the database file is kept on the Nexus 7.

The older versions which I do have are not KitKat compatible.
I don't think so. I'm running Kindle app 4.2.0.151 on KitKat and data storage is only 90.94 MB. When I manually sync it actually dropped a tiny bit to 89 MB. It would appear your later version of Kindle is the culprit. It looks like you are running 4.3.0.38.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think so. I'm running Kindle app 4.2.0.151 on KitKat and data storage is only 90.94 MB. When I manually sync it actually dropped a tiny bit to 89 MB. It would appear your later version of Kindle is the culprit. It looks like you are running 4.3.0.38.
What version of KitKat do you have there was an update I believe last week?

I'm running 4.4.2 Build: KOT49H

Last edited by Blossom; 12-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.