Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
GracieAllen
GracieAllen began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 9
Send to Device not working correctly

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. It will be replacing my older Google Nexus, which has worked perfectly with Calibre for years...

I configured the S6 with the following template, which is EXACTLY what I"ve been using for years on the Nexus:
{author_sort}/{series} #{series_index:0>5.2f} - {title}

The books are being put in subfolders of "Books".

The following formats are being sent: epub, azw, azw1, azw2, azw3, azw4, mobi, pdf

When I START Calibre I send send SINGLE book to the tablet, so it's there, connected and receiving the file. The file is in place on the tablet.

BUT, if I select multiple books to send I get the following error:

calibre, version 4.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 594, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 439, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 36, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 440, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

It OFTEN throws the same error when I send a SINGLE book. About 50/50 with just one book. After a few times of getting the error, it gets more frequent and I have to kill Calibre and restart to continue.....

I figure this HAS to be something simple and stupid, but I"m not seeing it...
Ideas?
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
GracieAllen

Just to avoid the delay with "install the latest version", I just put 4.3 on and it made no difference.
And yes, the tablet SAYS "USB for file transfers".

As I said, it randomly switches between the error above and successfully downloading the book(s).
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
GracieAllen

Didn't make any difference. Worked one time after deleting the files then back to error most of the time.

If I send 1 or 2 books, it'll work sometimes, but if I send a bunch while testing it appears to get 10 or 12 onto the tablet, then throw the error. Calibre doesn't show the books that downloaded until shut down and restarted.

calibre, version 4.3.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 594, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 439, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 36, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 440, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Your device is acting up. Calibre is just trying to write another file and ran into a problem.
You might try a repair on the filesystem on that device. Or your device A/V is choking .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
GracieAllen

Since this started happening on the first day of this device's usage, and it happens consistently whether the send goes to the SD card or the main memory, I'm not sure what I would "repair" or what would be wrong with the A/V that it's "choking". Can you elaborate on HOW to repair the filesystem or exactly WHAT to do to fix the A/V choking problem?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Repair = send it back (since it is a new device).

Choke is just another word for Barf, Stumble, Trip . It just means the device can't deal with a normal function.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
GracieAllen

Thanks for the clarification. Oddly, the tablet has no problem shoving large quantities of information back and forth to my desktop, far more, in the case of images, than I'm sending in a few ebooks. The only time I get this error is specifically from Calibre.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
I have had no problems with other Samsung Tab As and I doubt whether there is any issue with S6s in general as I know others use them with Calibre. So it is likely either a fault in your particular S6 or you are suffering from the issue that exists between some individual devices (individual devices not a particular model, e.g. so not all S6s because I know others don't have the same problem with them) and Calibre for MTP file transfers. There has been a string of threads about this problem over the years.

Usually the issue shows up by Calibre insisting on doing a full rescan of the whole device's storage for books every time the device is connected (which can take quite some minutes if one has a lot of music and images in storage), rather than scan just the folders that one points it too in the device configuration in Calibre (with the device connected, in the drop down menu for Device in Calibre's toolbar), but sometimes by unreliable book transfers.

This happens even though all other file transfers and other media management applications all work correctly.

I can only suggest that you check that you have Calibre configured to only scan the folder(s) on the device containing books and that Calibre completes a scan of only those. Other than that, if the above issue is the problem, then you are on your own because I nor anyone else (as far as I am aware) has solved the problem.

I encountered the issue with a phone, all other devices worked fine with Calibre. A few times I thought I may have beaten it but that didn't last past a restart - I even factory rest the phone and spent hours setting it up again. It ended up that I got around the problem in a drastic way by falling off a boat into the salty sea 6 months ago drowning that phone. I have bought myself 2 phones since then and both work flawlessly with Calibre as do our Samsung tablets.

Basically, if you have USB on the tablet set to file transfer, as you say you do, and other file transfers and reads work (especially if they are media management or player related between the tablet and the PC) then I think it is unlikely that the issue is with your tablet.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-26-2019 at 09:52 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
GracieAllen

All my ebooks are in the eBooks folder tree on the SD card. I attempted to minimize the folders Calibre searches by unchecking Books, Downloads, Documents and Fonts in main memory of the tablet so the only place searched would be the eBooks on the SD card.
Unfortunately, when I hit OK, the list closes but when I reopen it, the other folders are again checked. But, they’re empty so it’s never been a problem.

I checked and the tablet is set to “USB for file transfer”.

I’ve noticed that if I have Calibre up on the desktop and connect the tablet, Calibre doesn’t see it. It doesn’t seem to be related to the S6 – the previous Google Nexus had the same problem, but I have to restart Calibre for it to see the tablet.
It used to work if I connected the device after Calibre was up, but that was in earlier versions – I don’t know exactly when it stopped, but it’s been a while since it worked on the Nexus either.

Normally, none of the above is a big problem since I’m generally sending books to the tablet three or fewer at a time. It’s only when I send a bunch of books – it was a problem when initially loading the tablet with 150 books.