Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #8296
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Just an FYI - when I sent mine in I got a reply that the full body photo doesn't have to be nude...
Was that a reply, or a panicked request???? ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #8297
cc_in_oh
Evangelist
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Was that a reply, or a panicked request???? ;-)

Hitch
Actually I've gotten several more replies now - it's starting to look like it might be another stalker...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #8298
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Finished off The Last Dance. A very good read indeed. I'm reminded a bit of Asimov's robot books. The framework style is a bit like the first I, Robot and the mystery tie in reminds me of his The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun.
I wasn't sure that is exactly a style. It makes a lot of sense when you got many interviews, and you don't want to clutter the book needlessly with dialogue. One little nitpick about The Last Dance is how one interview continues to the next and extends on the story. As if the people planned it that way.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #8299
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I wasn't sure that is exactly a style. It makes a lot of sense when you got many interviews, and you don't want to clutter the book needlessly with dialogue. One little nitpick about The Last Dance is how one interview continues to the next and extends on the story. As if the people planned it that way.
Apparently, a couple of the interviews started off as short stories that the author later brought into the framework. The framework style was a style that I've seen used by various authors in order to use previously written short stories in a book.

Actually, I think the "as if the people planned it that way" was something the writer was trying to convey.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #8300
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apparently, a couple of the interviews started off as short stories that the author later brought into the framework. The framework style was a style that I've seen used by various authors in order to use previously written short stories in a book.
I am not so sure, unless you researched it a bit. When I read it, I thought it amazing that he created short stories just to make the interviews more personal. It is complicated to make a good short story to begin with. I mean, there is only a limited amount of words to bring the point across that needs to be made. Plus he cheated once by
Spoiler:

ending a story with: I could tell you more about this and that, but everything was highly predictable and planned out, so I bother you the details. I didn't need it filled in, I filled it in myself. I even made extraordinary room for special plans. I got to appreciate, by that time, the difference between a normal plan and the execution, and that particular plan and not so normal execution.

Quote:
Actually, I think the "as if the people planned it that way" was something the writer was trying to convey.
And the reader was supposed to guess at it early around? I understand that ultimately it is the author himself to make up the story as a whole. Either way it was done obvious enough and leaving enough doubt as to how. Mhh, that is funny, I just read about that. File it for later, as sure it might get explained. Or maybe not.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #8301
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am not so sure, unless you researched it a bit. When I read it, I thought it amazing that he created short stories just to make the interviews more personal. It is complicated to make a good short story to begin with. I mean, there is only a limited amount of words to bring the point across that needs to be made. Plus he cheated once by
Spoiler:

ending a story with: I could tell you more about this and that, but everything was highly predictable and planned out, so I bother you the details. I didn't need it filled in, I filled it in myself. I even made extraordinary room for special plans. I got to appreciate, by that time, the difference between a normal plan and the execution, and that particular plan and not so normal execution.

And the reader was supposed to guess at it early around? I understand that ultimately it is the author himself to make up the story as a whole. Either way it was done obvious enough and leaving enough doubt as to how. Mhh, that is funny, I just read about that. File it for later, as sure it might get explained. Or maybe not.
Well, he mentioned I think in the afterwards that a couple of the interviews were short stories that had appeared elsewhere. Murder on the Aldrin Express appeared in 2013 and Brigas Nunca Mais in 2015.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #8302
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished reread of Death Masks. Last read in 2014, so it was pretty fresh. Will move on to Blood Rites on Monday. Mostly listening when on errands or working on Ebay (downsizing, so selling lots of stuff). I am endlessly selling or giving away books. Makes me glad I have ereaders...

Last edited by Tarana; 11-29-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy