Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #8296
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yeah, The Last Dance was a nice read (in last months First Reads). Cpt Aames sure is a unique character.
Finished off The Last Dance. A very good read indeed. I'm reminded a bit of Asimov's robot books. The framework style is a bit like the first I, Robot and the mystery tie in reminds me of his The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #8297
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Just an FYI - when I sent mine in I got a reply that the full body photo doesn't have to be nude...
Was that a reply, or a panicked request???? ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #8298
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Was that a reply, or a panicked request???? ;-)

Hitch
Actually I've gotten several more replies now - it's starting to look like it might be another stalker...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #8299
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Finished off The Last Dance. A very good read indeed. I'm reminded a bit of Asimov's robot books. The framework style is a bit like the first I, Robot and the mystery tie in reminds me of his The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun.
I wasn't sure that is exactly a style. It makes a lot of sense when you got many interviews, and you don't want to clutter the book needlessly with dialogue. One little nitpick about The Last Dance is how one interview continues to the next and extends on the story. As if the people planned it that way.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #8300
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't sure that is exactly a style. It makes a lot of sense when you got many interviews, and you don't want to clutter the book needlessly with dialogue. One little nitpick about The Last Dance is how one interview continues to the next and extends on the story. As if the people planned it that way.
Apparently, a couple of the interviews started off as short stories that the author later brought into the framework. The framework style was a style that I've seen used by various authors in order to use previously written short stories in a book.

Actually, I think the "as if the people planned it that way" was something the writer was trying to convey.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #8301
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently, a couple of the interviews started off as short stories that the author later brought into the framework. The framework style was a style that I've seen used by various authors in order to use previously written short stories in a book.
I am not so sure, unless you researched it a bit. When I read it, I thought it amazing that he created short stories just to make the interviews more personal. It is complicated to make a good short story to begin with. I mean, there is only a limited amount of words to bring the point across that needs to be made. Plus he cheated once by
Spoiler:

ending a story with: I could tell you more about this and that, but everything was highly predictable and planned out, so I bother you the details. I didn't need it filled in, I filled it in myself. I even made extraordinary room for special plans. I got to appreciate, by that time, the difference between a normal plan and the execution, and that particular plan and not so normal execution.

Quote:
Actually, I think the "as if the people planned it that way" was something the writer was trying to convey.
And the reader was supposed to guess at it early around? I understand that ultimately it is the author himself to make up the story as a whole. Either way it was done obvious enough and leaving enough doubt as to how. Mhh, that is funny, I just read about that. File it for later, as sure it might get explained. Or maybe not.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #8302
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am not so sure, unless you researched it a bit. When I read it, I thought it amazing that he created short stories just to make the interviews more personal. It is complicated to make a good short story to begin with. I mean, there is only a limited amount of words to bring the point across that needs to be made. Plus he cheated once by
Spoiler:

ending a story with: I could tell you more about this and that, but everything was highly predictable and planned out, so I bother you the details. I didn't need it filled in, I filled it in myself. I even made extraordinary room for special plans. I got to appreciate, by that time, the difference between a normal plan and the execution, and that particular plan and not so normal execution.

And the reader was supposed to guess at it early around? I understand that ultimately it is the author himself to make up the story as a whole. Either way it was done obvious enough and leaving enough doubt as to how. Mhh, that is funny, I just read about that. File it for later, as sure it might get explained. Or maybe not.
Well, he mentioned I think in the afterwards that a couple of the interviews were short stories that had appeared elsewhere. Murder on the Aldrin Express appeared in 2013 and Brigas Nunca Mais in 2015.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #8303
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished reread of Death Masks. Last read in 2014, so it was pretty fresh. Will move on to Blood Rites on Monday. Mostly listening when on errands or working on Ebay (downsizing, so selling lots of stuff). I am endlessly selling or giving away books. Makes me glad I have ereaders...

Last edited by Tarana; 11-29-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #8304
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Just seen this today on "upcoming works," not sure how long it has been there. A little progress, if it means that the version that the publisher has is now completely edited and final. Up to the publisher now to finish up layout and set a release date.
Quote:
PEACE TALKS IS FINISHED, AND REVISIONS ARE COMPLETE!
ETA: Also found a (fake?) entry on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Talks-D.../dp/B07SZLRHMT
Complete with size and such (everything in bold is mine and suspicious):
Quote:
Print Length: 640 pages
Publisher: Orbit; Digital original edition (April 16, 2020)
Publication Date: April 16, 2020
Language: English
ASIN: B07SZLRHMT
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Not Enabled
Word Wise: Not Enabled
Lending: Not Enabled
Enhanced Typesetting: Not Enabled
Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it could be real or fake. The size would suggest that they have some idea for an estimate (if not an early version). It is also in line as similarly long as the last two novels (Skin Game and Aeronaut's Windlass). But the publisher makes no sense. Orbit is Hachette owned, not Randy owned. Unless the publishing houses merged behind my back? The best to go on so far. If it is fake, the real date will likely be even later. Sooner? They would probably have a real page, even if not yet preorderable.

So a much longer wait yet than expected. Almost guaranteed to NOT release this year yet. Looks more like maybe summer of next year.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-11-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #8305
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Not that most people here need this any longer but Side Jobs is on sale for $1.99 today at Amazon US.

https://www.amazon.com/Side-Jobs-Dre...dp/B0043RSIV4/
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #8306
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just seen this today on "upcoming works," not sure how long it has been there. A little progress, if it means that the version that the publisher has is now completely edited and final. Up to the publisher now to finish up layout and set a release date.

ETA: Also found a (fake?) entry on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Talks-D.../dp/B07SZLRHMT
Complete with size and such (everything in bold is mine and suspicious):

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it could be real or fake. The size would suggest that they have some idea for an estimate (if not an early version). It is also in line as similarly long as the last two novels (Skin Game and Aeronaut's Windlass). But the publisher makes no sense. Orbit is Hachette owned, not Randy owned. Unless the publishing houses merged behind my back? The best to go on so far. If it is fake, the real date will likely be even later. Sooner? They would probably have a real page, even if not yet preorderable.

So a much longer wait yet than expected. Almost guaranteed to NOT release this year yet. Looks more like maybe summer of next year.
Some years ago, I was told that it was normally about a year from the time the final draft was turned in until the book actually hit the book stores. That could vary some depending on what was already on the publisher's schedule and if it was a name author who they needed to fit into a slot. I don't know if that basic timeline has changed much over time or not.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #8307
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some years ago, I was told that it was normally about a year from the time the final draft was turned in until the book actually hit the book stores. That could vary some depending on what was already on the publisher's schedule and if it was a name author who they needed to fit into a slot. I don't know if that basic timeline has changed much over time or not.
Two years at most trade publishing houses. Not one.

Hitch
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #8308
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
Two years at most trade publishing houses. Not one.

Hitch
That is unfortunate. So by the time Peace Talks comes out, he should already be half way through the next Cinder Spires? There is hope.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #8309
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
That is unfortunate. So by the time Peace Talks comes out, he should already be half way through the next Cinder Spires? There is hope.
Only if he's back on his former schedule. I mean...guys, he may be tiring of Harry. It happens. Or maybe he's burned through his supply of previously-considered story arc.

I've moved on. I know, I know, heresy, but god knows, there are enough wizards out there (Alex Verus, etc.) to keep me occupied. How long's it been now? (And no, novellas, short stories, don't cut it for me.) I know it sounds selfish and trite, but as I said previously, all the "personal problems" aside, it feels like quite frankly, he takes us for granted. Melanie Rawn pulled this crap decades ago and I decided then that I'm not going with it.

The rest of us all have to survive "personal problems" and still show up to work every day. Yeah, yeah, creatives are "speshul" but somehow, the rest of us manage to work when our life isn't going so damned great.

Hitch
Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #8310
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only if he's back on his former schedule. I mean...guys, he may be tiring of Harry. It happens. Or maybe he's burned through his supply of previously-considered story arc.

I've moved on. I know, I know, heresy, but god knows, there are enough wizards out there (Alex Verus, etc.) to keep me occupied. How long's it been now? (And no, novellas, short stories, don't cut it for me.) I know it sounds selfish and trite, but as I said previously, all the "personal problems" aside, it feels like quite frankly, he takes us for granted. Melanie Rawn pulled this crap decades ago and I decided then that I'm not going with it.

The rest of us all have to survive "personal problems" and still show up to work every day. Yeah, yeah, creatives are "speshul" but somehow, the rest of us manage to work when our life isn't going so damned great.

Hitch
I suspect that most do that because they have to. One would assume that Jim Butcher has enough money that he doesn't have to write any more to pay the bills.

Of course, I do agree with your overall premise, which is after a period of time, the prudent thing is to move on to other writers. I have no idea if Patrick Rothfuss is going to ever finish Stone Door or not, it's been a long, long time. I'll likely read it if he does, but I'm not counting on it.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy