Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 03:01 AM   #76
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Yes, pbooks will always be part of my home. Independent of any arguable utility*, the fact is that I find them aesthetically pleasing. Just as I like to have pictures hanging on the wall and ornaments on shelves (which are a pain to dust etc.), so I have my library on display - much of which I have carried with me through dozens of change in residence.

* Some coffee-table books would need a very big screen to really appreciate in the same way, and big screens can't - at the moment - be carried around as easily as big books.

Conversely, many of the hardcover novels I own I now also have, or plan to have, in ebook form for convenience when reading.

So utility is certainly arguable, but aesthetics is not - or not without being offensive.

Last edited by gmw; 11-01-2019 at 03:07 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #77
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
For me, the reason why i use a large format e-reader is because I don't have space for print books in my apartment, and I want to be able to read comics at close to print size. However, at another family member's house where I get to stay sometimes, I may have space for a few, which may end up getting taken up by print (hardcover preferred) copies of the books I've thought too much about since I started getting back to e-books earlier this year.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #78
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If you read ebooks then look for sales at librarys and thrift stoors, find some hard back classics
Downside is you can't adjust the font for how bad your eyes are, and/or you like books by indie authors or low print run academic books.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #79
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
My place has many hundreds (or thousands) more books than I'd like. My wife is a problem. Since these books are doing nothing but gathering dust, I'd say culling them would be a great idea. Keep the stuff that is either valuable (either cash or sentiment) or special (large format and art books, for example). Otherwise, I'd like to get rid of a couple of thousand books. If you'd like some to leave at your vacation home, let me know.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #80
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
Otherwise, I'd like to get rid of a couple of thousand books. If you'd like some to leave at your vacation home, let me know.
I love how some neighborhoods put up little "Take one, Leave One" book stands.

I was lucky to find a sci/fi reader to give me 2 50gal trash bags I filled with books when I moved from my apartment in the city to my house in the suburbs.

I had so many books, that I'd buy books I already owned because I'd forgotten I'd already bought a copy.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #81
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
. If you'd like some to leave at your vacation home, let me know.
Har! I have bookcases all over our house, including three in the unfinished part of the basement stacked 3 deep. But my husband's name is Dave.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote