Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
democrite
Groupie
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
4.x viewer trackpad/mouse scrolling on macOS

Hello,

Very much like the 4.x improvements to the viewer. One issue I have is with scrolling. I use mainly vertical scrolling. On desktop, like with viewing web pages, word processing docs, PDFs, etc., I tend to favor it and it feels the most natural. Trackpad scrolling isn't the greatest. On initial update to version 4, when using trackpad scrolling, scrolling up or down was quite jumpy and in the instance of using fingers to scroll the entire length of my trackpad, it'd scroll only a few lines and was quite jumpy. Such a gesture on a web browser or other app will scroll about one page full. Scrolling with a flick would correctly use some native elastic rubber band scrolling. Perhaps ideal would be having some option to use non-accelerated scrolling and have it behave like the scrolling in the main apps list of books. That works fine though indeed I would like native scrolling (similar to mobile iOS that everyone is used to if possible (in both places). It seems possible as that was the default behavior. After trying to change the preference for scrolling, I can't get it back. The slightest movement of trackpad or mouse will scroll many pages; such is not usable as even the slighest movement will scroll many pages and scroll by page in vertical scrolling mode maybe shouldn't even be an option. Like how we are used to scrolling web pages and all other vertical scrolling docs, is that best as default?

an unrelated note, I haven't been able to finely adjust font size. I see only a setting for percentage increment for change. Setting it to 1%, the minimum, seems to have no effect. Maybe it's planned to add back a default point size. Being able to set to 1 decimal point precision, e.g. 8.5 pt, would be great.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
See screenshots.
bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Hello,

Very much like the 4.x improvements to the viewer. One issue I have is with scrolling. I use mainly vertical scrolling. On desktop, like with viewing web pages, word processing docs, PDFs, etc., I tend to favor it and it feels the most natural. Trackpad scrolling isn't the greatest. On initial update to version 4, when using trackpad scrolling, scrolling up or down was quite jumpy and in the instance of using fingers to scroll the entire length of my trackpad, it'd scroll only a few lines and was quite jumpy. Such a gesture on a web browser or other app will scroll about one page full. Scrolling with a flick would correctly use some native elastic rubber band scrolling. Perhaps ideal would be having some option to use non-accelerated scrolling and have it behave like the scrolling in the main apps list of books. That works fine though indeed I would like native scrolling (similar to mobile iOS that everyone is used to if possible (in both places). It seems possible as that was the default behavior. After trying to change the preference for scrolling, I can't get it back. The slightest movement of trackpad or mouse will scroll many pages; such is not usable as even the slighest movement will scroll many pages and scroll by page in vertical scrolling mode maybe shouldn't even be an option. Like how we are used to scrolling web pages and all other vertical scrolling docs, is that best as default?

an unrelated note, I haven't been able to finely adjust font size. I see only a setting for percentage increment for change. Setting it to 1%, the minimum, seems to have no effect. Maybe it's planned to add back a default point size. Being able to set to 1 decimal point precision, e.g. 8.5 pt, would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-14 20-30-21.png
Views:	15
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	174929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-14 20-30-49.png
Views:	16
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	174930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-14 20-31-08.png
Views:	16
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	174931  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
democrite
Groupie
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

thank you. The step change between options is for me too large. I thought zoom step size would control such an increment.

btw in often changing shortcuts, I noticed pressing esc while editing a shortcut, perhaps something else too, sometimes returns to the shortcut list, sometimes to the main screen, sometimes closes preferences. A new shortcut to go to preferences would be nice too. Seems shortcut defaults use control on macOS while it'd be better to use command.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know there are no settings that affect scrolling in flow mode. But you can delete ~/Library/Preferences/viewer-webengine.json to restore to defaults.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
democrite
Groupie

Then something happened. After changing some setting, mouse scrolling changed to by page. Some bug somewhere plus the default behavior isn't working right on macOS.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
democrite
Groupie

Concerning smooth scrolling, all the new code such as settings and the book list upon initial load work great. Scrolling is smooth and kinetic which I think is the term used by Qt. Perhaps for the viewer itself, there's old code that could use updating or isn't needed that was ported from pre-4.x.