Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #211
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
The end of another month and this time I haven't made all my goals.

I've read four non fiction books this month and I'm currently reading two biographies so will meet this goal next month. I haven't read any new authors in any genre, but I have spent a lot of time re-reading old favourites.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #212
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm feeling pretty good about my progress this month. I read the book for both book clubs, and also read the other runoff book for the MR Book Club, and several of the other books for the MR Literary Book Club. I expect to get the January MR Book Club book from the library soon, so I should be keeping up with the challenge.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 AM   #213
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've lost ground on my challenge in April. I shall have to do much better in May.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #214
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
From my goal post:

Quote:
My numbers goal is 60 books, which is a little under my yearly average. But my substantive goal is to continue to diversify. I want to read more of the dead tree books my wife purchases and I want to read more "across the aisle" in genres or subjects I have avoided in the past.

UPDATE: This has morphed into me reading more non-American authors. Because I find myself living in 1984, I am having a hard time with the goal of reading cross-aisle perspectives. I guess living in post-truth/pre-fascisim kind of kills the desire to read about it.
I'm still not doing terrific with non-American authors, but my flight into fantasy has been very successful. Science fiction has jumped to 15% of my total reading for the year. Beyond that, all other goals keep trucking along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages May 17.PNG
Views:	157
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	156460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genre May 17.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	156461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Books Per May 17.PNG
Views:	152
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	156462  
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #215
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
At the 1/3rd point in the year, I'm doing no better than so-so. Total number read is good, on schedule for >150. Above my base goal, but slightly below my stretch goal. Certainly, success on that stretch goal is within reach. But I'm doing a good deal less well on the secondary goal of keeping my lists up to date. Mostly, this is stress. I'm just not finding time to manage my library like I should.

A telling point is a high percentage of re-reads. I attribute this to the desire for known good quantities in my reading versus the risk of trying a new author and being thoroughly disappointed. And, I suspect, simply comfort level. I'm stressed at work, so looking for old, warm, fuzzy favourites.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #216
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A telling point is a high percentage of re-reads. I attribute this to the desire for known good quantities in my reading versus the risk of trying a new author and being thoroughly disappointed. And, I suspect, simply comfort level. I'm stressed at work, so looking for old, warm, fuzzy favourites.
Sorry to hear about more stress at work. I am in the same boat. Old favorites are definitely a trend for me this year too.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #217
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Only two books completed for April, both were enjoyable. Just have not had enough time to read this month. Hope to read more in May.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #218
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Sorry to hear about more stress at work. I am in the same boat. Old favorites are definitely a trend for me this year too.
Funny how that happens, but I definitely see the trend in my own reading when I get stressed. The good news is, I have three good books from favourite authors due out this month.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #219
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Finally completed a couple of books that I wanted to finish in April , but didn't, so I added them for May's challenge. Both fiction. One WW2 Princess Elizabeth's Spy, by Ella MacNeal and The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny. Both were enjoyable
Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #220
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Finally got Midnight Riot/River of London read, so now I'm caught up and batting 1.000

As a re-read, I was pleasantly surprised about how well the book held up.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #221
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just finished the Dresden Files #7, Dead Beat, and am really enjoying this series now. The first 3 books were OK at best for me but the last ones have been a lot of fun; despite feeling bad for Harry.

This book also took me over the half way mark of my (updated) goal for the year and I am way ahead of any previous year at the start of May. If I continue this pace I may extend the goal again near the end of August.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #222
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
As a student, my Spring semester has come to an end, and as a teacher, I have 1 month left in this school year. So, despite my having to study for a huge exam in June, I'm looking forward to more free time.

In the meantime, I'm just happy I was finally able to read for fun again.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #223
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Funny how that happens, but I definitely see the trend in my own reading when I get stressed. The good news is, I have three good books from favourite authors due out this month.
How do you tell when your favorite author is due out with a new book?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #224
Loves2Read4Fun
Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Loves2Read4Fun knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

This site allows you to look up an author and see what books they have published and what books are "coming soon". I'm sure there are other sites as well.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #225
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Multiple ways, but in this case, by following their blogs. And in two of the cases, I was able to pre-order from Amazon, which gives you the planned publishing date.
Closed Thread