View Poll Results: Do Under 16's Reader read eBooks
Yes 43 72.88%
No 11 18.64%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My 8 (9 next month) year old nephew is reading them on my old Sony 505. He loves it and is always asking for new books. I'm hoping the library will start carrying more kids books soon.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #32
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My youngest little lady has a language disability. That is; she has a reading, comprehension and mathematics ability somewhat lower than her age. This presents itself in the form of bad spelling, difficulty expressing concepts etc in written form and mathematic problem solving. Verbally, she has no issues in the main expressing herself but often finds the wrong words to describe issues.

Two years ago, she developed a love of reading. You might think this a bit silly, but she fell in love with the Twilight series and through that now loves reading fantasy novels. Her current fav being Tamora Pierce. She also has the full Tolkien series in her expanding book collection.

I have shown her my PRS-300 and Kobo, explained e-ink displays to her but her comment is always...

"Daddy, great way to read, but at the moment I love the smell of books!"

So in short, no, my 16 year old baby girl does not want to read ebooks....yet.

However she loves to read online Manga romance comics! So I made an affirmative to the poll.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Kids don't read anymore... They watch tv and play games.

Naturally, I don't have kids, and my nephews live on the other side of the country, so I've absolutely no idea! Oh, and the next-door neighbour girl is too busy with the cows from our across-the-street neighbour...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #34
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'm 14. I've also got a friend that owns a Sony Reader but never uses it as "it's just not the same as paper books."
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I'm 14. I've also got a friend that owns a Sony Reader but never uses it as "it's just not the same as paper books."
Well, he does have a point... It's not the same! I mean, one is made from paper, the other from plastic, metal, and whatever else is required to make an electronic device
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #36
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well, he does have a point... It's not the same! I mean, one is made from paper, the other from plastic, metal, and whatever else is required to make an electronic device
I suppose However then he goes into the intricacies of the feel of paper, the weight of a pbook and the smell of an antique edition.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I suppose However then he goes into the intricacies of the feel of paper, the weight of a pbook and the smell of an antique edition.
I agree, the page is often hard to turn because it's too smooth. And the weight is a bit too high to hold comfortably in one hand, but, with some practice you might manage to keep it open! And you could even do something about that smell, just put a tissue with some perfume in front of your nice, it's what they did in the 1700's as well (you know, when washing wasn't really in vogue...)!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #38
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Id be more worried about kids actually reading any book let alone an ebook.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I got my ebook reader shortly before my 25th birthday, but I've been reading ebooks since I was in highscool, on a PDA or laptop, or desktop. Most of the younger readers I do know can't afford ebook readers, but if they can get to something that can read ebooks they do.

As far as the Harry Potter issue, that's more to do with JK Rowling. She's been one of the ebook holdouts.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #40
B.Tackitt
B.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-booksB.Tackitt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 2.5.3
My DS #1 got one of the first K1s and has been happily reading on it for years. He is now 18, and about to take it to college with him, although I am thinking the DX with the larger screen & PDF capabilities might be better... we are still debating this.

DD would steal her brother's K anytime she could until we got her one of her own.. and she was 14 at the time.

DS#2, never wanted a Kindle, but does use kindle app on his iPhone, and he is 17.
B.Tackitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #41
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My nephew is about to turn 2 and loves to "read." He's the usual kind of toddler -- can't sit still. The only exception: He will voluntarily grab a book and sit himself quietly in your lap so you can read to him. He'll listen intently and grab a new one each time you finish, till he goes through a stack of books. He's able to "read" multiple-syllable words now, though it's probably more memorization / picture association at this point. We're encouraging his interest in books, of course, but trying to limit his exposure to e-books. We don't want him to get hooked on gadgets rather than reading at such a young age, when picture books are necessary.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #42
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
My 15 year old used my Sony 505 for a while, but went back to mostly physical books, mostly because of our good local library access. But the iPad has definitely brought him back to reading eBooks.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote