View Poll Results: Do Under 16's Reader read eBooks
Yes 43 72.88%
No 11 18.64%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I gave my 12yo daughter my Cybook Gen 3 and she enjoys reading on it. She also reads tons of pbooks, too.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
The other thing keeping teens and youngsters from reading on Ereaders is the fact that they cost, quite a bit. An adult with a full time job and can save up, or even splurge and buy one. The younger demographic doesn't have that kind of buying power. They get smaller amounts and hence tend to spend it on things within their price range soon after getting it.
All the ereader people I know are over 25 :-D

Good Point
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My 13 year old daughter has been reading ebooks for the last three years. When I can find the books she likes to read in ebook format and a price I'm willing to pay, of course!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #19
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
I got my first reader when I was 15 or 16. Would have gotten one earlier, but didn't have the cash on me that young.
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #20
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
My 13 year old daughter has been reading ebooks for the last three years. When I can find the books she likes to read in ebook format and a price I'm willing to pay, of course!

What Daddy won't pay ANY price for his little DARLING

But it is a shame that even eBooks for the young are so over-priced and that an affordable durable eReader isn't yet available that is suitable to make eReading more readily available to youngster
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I voted for "other", because I do think that there is a market for young readers (my niece has been asking for an ebook reader), but I do not personally know anyone under the age of 16 who reads ebooks (to the extent of my knowledge.)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I donno, but can I have 10 photos of them using one?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not for long. The kids won't be able to afford eBooks with the new pricing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I voted "other". My 11 year-old would love one (in PINK), if we could afford it! Her PB's books are starting to overtake her bookshelves as space is becoming increasingly limited!

I'm too protective (selfish?) of mine to let her use it.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

I think the main issue with getting adolescents to read ebooks is hardware--finding something durable enough for the average teen's carelessness. (Not that they're always careless, but it only takes one "oops" moment to kill an e-ink screen.)
Since the intended audience for ereaders is the adult market, I don't see ruggedness being designed into the devices. Whereas, for portable gaming systems, the manufacturers definitely took the time and effort to design devices that could take a drop. Examples include the Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo DS. My child has dropped these more than a dozen times each, due either to his frustration with a game or his overexcitement. I won't call him careless, since he might be reading this post. LOL. When it came time to add a Sony PSP to his collection, we found a hard plastic clamshell case, and that has, for the most part, protected the system very well. I am researching the options for current generation readers.

Now, returning to the topic at hand, this is my recommendation to parents. Ignore the cost of the ereader. Even if you have to buy 3 during the years between 10 and 18, it's worth it to get the child to read. It will save you thousands in the future. I shudder at the thought of my child growing up to be a slacker at 25, too lazy to read or write.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I voted "other". My 11 year-old would love one (in PINK), if we could afford it! Her PB's books are starting to overtake her bookshelves as space is becoming increasingly limited!

I'm too protective (selfish?) of mine to let her use it.

Most of us are We think a lot of our eReaders, but the serious point is the cost and vulnerability of the machines I guess
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #28
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Since the intended audience for ereaders is the adult market, I don't see ruggedness being designed into the devices. Whereas, for portable gaming systems, the manufacturers definitely took the time and effort to design devices that could take a drop. Examples include the Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo DS. My child has dropped these more than a dozen times each, due either to his frustration with a game or his overexcitement. I won't call him careless, since he might be reading this post. LOL. When it came time to add a Sony PSP to his collection, we found a hard plastic clamshell case, and that has, for the most part, protected the system very well. I am researching the options for current generation readers.

Now, returning to the topic at hand, this is my recommendation to parents. Ignore the cost of the ereader. Even if you have to buy 3 during the years between 10 and 18, it's worth it to get the child to read. It will save you thousands in the future. I shudder at the thought of my child growing up to be a slacker at 25, too lazy to read or write.

Excellent Points, especially last paragraph, I think eReaders will like digital cameras and mobile phones became, a Massive Massive draw for the youngsters even to the point they may never read anything else .....in 5 years or so who knows
Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You know, there are literate slackers too, and I'd say more than illiterate ones. Pretentious artsy little suckers who aspire to win their way through life by packing some letters in paper and having people buy that. I'm one of them so I know what I'm talking about. Get your child to work hard, and teach him that reading and writing is an enjoyment, but nothing more.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #30
R.G. Cordiner
Enthusiast
R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I have to say as a teacher I am happy for kids to be reading - anything that inspires them to do is a great thing.

Last edited by dreams; 07-17-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed author self-promotion links
R.G. Cordiner is offline   Reply With Quote