Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
lani
lani began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Canadian ebook/Ipod reader, question

Hi,
I live in Canada, buy ebooks from various companies and read them on my Ipod Touch using a variety of ereader "apps" (Kindle, Kobo, Stanza, Ereader). But it's pricy!

I know that people in the U.S. can borrow ebooks from libraries, and I'd like to do that too. But there are no Canadian libraries that offer that service. Does anyone know:
- whether a non-resident like me can borrow ebooks from a U.S. library
- and if I can, can I read them on my Ipod touch on one or other of my reader "apps", instead of reading on my computer
lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There are several Canadian libraries which offer ebooks. Toronto and Vancouver, for example.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead.

You can try the Sony Library Finder or look in the MobileRead wiki under eBook Lending Libraries.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	176.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	49397 to the forum, lani.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Howdy. Welcome to the site!!!

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
lani
lani began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Thanks for these replies...but does anyone know whether I can read library-borrowed ebooks on my Ipod? That's critical for me. I don't like reading on the computer because it isn't portable and I can't read in the coffee-shop!
lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lani View Post
Thanks for these replies...but does anyone know whether I can read library-borrowed ebooks on my Ipod? That's critical for me. I don't like reading on the computer because it isn't portable and I can't read in the coffee-shop!
Hi lani,

First of all welcome to this very nice place. You will be very happy to have joined in. The first thing you want to do is to go here and read, and enjoy.

Then you have to go to the specific forum and ask there your specific questions.

There is a Forum for Apple Devices (54 Viewing at this very moment)
All things iPad, iPhone, iPod, and other e-book capable Apple devices.

Then there is this very useful application, that is called Calibre (and there is a special forum for it also) that lets you convert all sort of formats between themselves.

And that's the way the cooky crumbles. But here at MR, its really a nice crumbling.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I forgot, for mere 15 US dollars, Philadelphia lets you borrow books even if you are not a resident. If you have hard time finding the posts that lead to it, write me a visitor message or just post here and I will find it for you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Welcome to MR! I hope you are able to find a solution here!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi lani and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote