Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Question Astak EZ Reader as a first ereader?

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice. I've been reading various reviews of ereder devices here and Astak seems to fit my needs.

My budget is limited, so I was looking for an affordable device, no more than $200. Looking up the eBook Reader matrix I saw that Sony, my other choice, fits this, but I'd like to be able to expand it using SD cards filled with different types of books. Sony doesn't have that. I like that Astak has the ability to play .mp3s in the background, and is not tied down to one or two formats.

I'd like a fairly large, readable screen but that would probably increase the price. I was wondering if Astak will have some larger devices after CES after reading some posts here. Any news on that?

I don't have any experience with page refresh and how annoying it is (or not), so I have to rely on your comments. I'd appreciate some feedback. Thank you in advance.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the Astak device is perfectly OK. As I'm sure you know, it's made by the Chinese company "Jinke", and is sold under numerous different brand names - Hanlin V3, BeBook, ECOReader, and Aztak EZ Reader, to name but four. It's a solid, well-made device, if getting a little "long in the tooth" now - but that's partially why it's cheap, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The 6" EZ Reader Basic is probably one of the most widely used EInk devices worldwide (sold under many names). It is a solid device, with a spectacular battery life, and I use one every day for my reading. The 5" EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a modest technology refresh at a lower price due to the smaller screen. I use the 6" basic because it supports the OpenInkPot firmware, if this was available for the Pocket Pro I would be using it instead. The Jinke firmware is perfectly ok, but note that the level of support for the many ebook formats is variable. Some are almost useless, but several work well.

The likely new EZ Reader devices introduced at CES appear to be high end models, see New future models? We will know more when there is a formal press release presumably some time this week.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 6" EZ Reader Basic is probably one of the most widely used EInk devices worldwide (sold under many names). It is a solid device, with a spectacular battery life, and I use one every day for my reading. The 5" EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a modest technology refresh at a lower price due to the smaller screen. I use the 6" basic because it supports the OpenInkPot firmware, if this was available for the Pocket Pro I would be using it instead. The Jinke firmware is perfectly ok, but note that the level of support for the many ebook formats is variable. Some are almost useless, but several work well.

The likely new EZ Reader devices introduced at CES appear to be high end models, see New future models? We will know more when there is a formal press release presumably some time this week.
Thank you for the clarification between the 5" and 6" model. I'm not in a rush to get one, and I'd like to see exactly what the price of the new models will be before buying a reader. If they're not too pricey, I could set aside some more money. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the 6" device. I'm a postgrad student, and wouldn't mind leaving my heavy textbooks at home.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote