Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
max document resolution ? (displaying maps)

I would like to know what are the max documents resolution supported by the main ebooks readers (if there is a max) ? I am speaking about the resolution of documents (PDF and pictures), not the screen resolution.

If I ask, it is because I was wondering if these devices may be used to display maps (scraped for Google maps or openstreetmap.org) or large diagrams such as mind maps. According to resolution, maps may be zoomed to obtain detail.

That would be nice to have map of you country, region, city, transportation network etc in your reader
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure about all of them, but my Sony will not zoom in on images; a super large image like a map (unless cut up into chunks organized as separate pages) would just get shrunk to an unreadably small resolution, and I would not be able to zoom in on it.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur

Yes this is why I thought about converting images to PDF to benefit zoom functions.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can't zoom in on a PDF page either, whether the content is vectorized or rasterized. That's what I meant.

The only thing you can increase the size of in the PDF is the actual text, and it works through reflow rather than zoom. (And usually evaporates vectorized stuff altogether and leaves rasterized stuff as it was.)

In landscape mode you can view half a page at a time, but that's the best you can do.

But that's just my Sony 505. Others may do better.

Last edited by frabjous; 10-21-2009 at 05:26 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur

Oh thanks, I thought there was always some possibility to zoom on pictures to some extent :/ Is this true for all readers ?
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I remember correctly, the Gen3 lets you zoom up to 100%. That means if the PDF is created with a 9×12cm page size, you can only make it look smaller than intended, not larger. If it was created with a A4 page size, you can zoom out to make it fit the screen, or zoom in up to 100%, but no more.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
On my Sony PRS-505, zooming in to landscape mode will let me view images at 800 pixels wide by ~568 pixels tall (there's some shading / fading towards the middle of the page).

It works very nicely to see detail in an image used as a chapter head.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Oh, yes, I forgot. In the Gen3 you can also set it to fit-width or fit-height, in portrait and landscape orientation, and these will zoom in more than 100% if necessary.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur

Ok, seems it is better then to adapt maps to device display from the beginning.