Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
CupofDice
Book Lover
CupofDice began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 300
A few questions about Sony Reader 300

Quote:
Original thread titled- Windows 7 64 bit issues I should know about?

Just wondering what troubles I can expect when I buy the prs 300 and use it with Win 7 build 7100. Did a site search on forum with google, and didn't find a similar thread.

Will I be able to simply drag and drop with Win 7 64 bit? I don't want to use callibre (it crashes when adding to library, and has a slow UI for me).

Does the official Sony software work with Win 7 64 bit?
Okay, I just bought my Sony Reader prs 300.

I have a 2 questions.

1. Can I simple disconnect the usb by pulling it out of the reader, or do I have to use window's safe remove? I've already just pulled it out, so I am wondering if that is a safe practice.

2. I used Callibre to transfer some files. I've read on here (can't find the thread) that I have to stick with either Callibre or the Sony ebook software. What problems would using the Sony software cause at this point? I am interested in the Sony software because of updates.

Last edited by CupofDice; 09-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.
CupofDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
pot_pie
pot_pie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I'm using my PRS-300 with Win7 RC 64 bit and I haven't had any major issues. Drag and drop works, but you'll need to run the Sony software in compatibility mode (Vista SP1 setting works for me). The eBook Library software certainly isn't any quicker or more stable than Calibre on my system, though, so I'd avoid it unless you are buying through the Sony bookstore.
pot_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
CupofDice
Book Lover

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
EBL needs to be run in compatibility mode (Vista or XP).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I got a new PRS-300 last week and connecting to Windows 7 64 Evaluation Build 7100 just like you're planning.

Everything worked fined except that, as other already said, you need to run EBL in compatibility mode. Simplest way is to right-click the shortcut and then choose "troubleshoot compatibility".
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
CupofDice
Book Lover

Thanks igorsk and EricGagne.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
EBL needs to be run in compatibility mode (Vista or XP).
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "compatibility mode"?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
When programs don't run properly on a certain version of Windows (xp and above) because they were developed to run on earlier versions you can use compatibility mode to tell you Windows to run that application as if it was an earlier version.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f5f101033.mspx
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
CupofDice
Book Lover

I just got my PRS-300. So sweet! Connected to Win 7 just fine. Just had to turn it on first .

I have a 2 questions.

1. Can I simple disconnect the usb by pulling it out of the reader, or do I have to use window's safe remove? I've already just pulled it out, so I am wondering if that is a safe practice.

Edit: Yeah I'm pretty sure ^this is safe to do.

2. I used Callibre to transfer some files. I've read on here (can't find the thread) that I have to stick with either Callibre or the Sony ebook software. What problems would using the Sony software cause at this point? I am interested in the Sony software because of updates.

Last edited by CupofDice; 09-22-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
On win7 64-bit RTM (MSDN :>) and everything is fine with the PRS readers except for EBL 3.0 which needs to be in compatibility mode as noted above.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofDice View Post
Okay, I just bought my Sony Reader prs 300.

I have a 2 questions.

1. Both the Sony software and Calibre have "eject" buttons for the reader. It's best to use those before disconnecting, just in case something is being written to the reader.

2. You can use both Calibre and the Sony software, just make sure not to use them at the same time! I've done this for quite a while and haven't had any problems.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote