Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast
Diesel eBooks began at the beginning.

Make ebook history - test Diesel eBooks' mobile site

Okay round two. We've made some tweaks on the Diesel eBooks mobile site based on feedback from the last test (thank you very much). Long story short, the site is limited to just palm/eReader titles for now. They're the only format we carry that has placed focus on this part of the technology. Through internal tests, we can navigate, browse, purchase and download through a handheld. "Everything" works, though, in an internal test. If you get a moment, please go to the site on your handheld, download the "test" palm/eReader ebook on the homepage and let me know what happens. When you get to the point where you're prompted to key in the "purchasers name" and "unlock code", the test is over and is successful. If the PDA version doesn't come up, please also let me know as you should automatically be taken to http://pda.diesel-ebooks.com/. When you’re there, you’ll notice in the footer at the bottom of the page some light colored text that lists several different browsers. Can you please include that and your handheld type in the feedback. You can either post your feedback here or email me directly at scott [at] diesel-ebooks [dot] com.

Thanks. We really appreciate your help.

Scott
Old 03-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am glad you stick to eReader format instead of the other competing DRM formats for your mobile page. I will try the test purchase tomorrow when I get a chance, Scott.
Advert
Old 03-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ok, it basically worked but not without some issues.

1. Diesel's mobile page is not flexible. Note that I am browsing with a 640x480 VGA display (WM2003 SE), and Diesel should take advantage of it instead of leaving most of my display white (screenshot 1)
2. Seems like I was shifted back and forth between SSL and non-SSL pages. That doesn't "feel" very secure (screenshot 2)
3. I was then prompted to download the sample e-book. I was however never prompted to key in the "purchasers name" and "unlock code.

Hope that helps!

Tad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen001.png
Views:	769
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen002.png
Views:	683
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen003.png
Views:	679
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	591  
Attached Files
File Type: pdb SampleEbookforDownload.pdb (853 Bytes, 647 views)
Old 03-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast

Tad,

That's a big help. We did some tweaking to the templates and it should now auto-expand to the width of the page. We're shifting between SSL and non-SSL for performance reasons as the SSL can sometimes slow a page down so you'll notice it in sensitive areas like cart, registration, etc....

I"m concerned though that you weren't able to complete the test. Can you navigate to the test file while in eReader and open?

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast

okay mobilereaders, I know everybody's busy, but we need more feedback on the mobile site. Please take a moment and stop by: http://pda.diesel-ebooks.com/ and see if you can download the test ereader ebook.

We really appreciate it.

Scott
Diesel eBooks
Advert
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Scott,

the page auto-expands fine for me now (640x480). When I clicked on "Test Palm Downloads", I received "The page you are looking for cannot be found." in PIE. Second time I clicked, it told me that I'm switching to a SSL-secure site. The page I was directed to was https://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/category/error5 and prompted the following error:
Quote:
We are sorry. This ebook has been downloaded the maximum permitted number of times. Please see our support page for more information.
I tried again from the beginning by clicking on the test download but it didn't work, same error.

Alex
Old 03-25-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I tried it with my ipaq (PIE) and got exactly the same problem as well.

Craig.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast

Alex/Craig,

Thanks for the info. Helpful. DRM books have a timeout on them so they can only be downloaded "x" number of times which can vary by format and publisher. When the limit is hit, we have to reset. This file shouldn't have those limits, but they keep appearing. We'll work on it this weekend.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread