Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #241
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
OK - I've written a new ePub codec module for the webservice. This module creates the ePub structure directly, doesn't use Calibre, and doesn't convert the story to HTML first.

The new codec is now set as the default, however I've left the old one available under 'ePub (old)' in case people have any issues with the new one.

I'd appreciate feedback on this - any problems, bugs, feature requests etc, please let me know. I've also embedded a feedback email address in the generated ePub files.

Chyron8472 - the new codec will fix your issue as well.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #242
octarineblues
octarineblues began at the beginning.

Device: none
At some point after March 22 (I can't say exactly when), a pretty severe bug popped up in the HTML, PDF, and ePub generation, specifically the old style ePub generation. In any story featuring characters with diacritics, such as "ê" or "é", the file stops right before said character and doesn't generate anything more in that chapter, or then fails to generate any of the chapters following. I have an ePub generated by FLAG on March 22 which features characters with diacritics and it's fine, but when I try to snag the same story today using either the HTML, PDF, or old ePub format, it's broken in the first chapter, and none of the other chapters get generated at all. Here's the story, for reference:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4433224/1/Harrys_New_Pets

I haven't gone through all my backed up stories yet, but also affected is the following, in chapter 2:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6871246/..._the_Whirlwind

Don't know exactly what changed in the code for those formats, but hopefully knowing that the change occured at some point in the past two weeks or so should help.
octarineblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #243
octarineblues

Er, scratch that March 22 bit. I've found one backup that I grabbed on April 4 that was fine then but is broken when I generate it today, from this story:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6535391/1/Letters

So whatever it is, it's a change to the code that happened in the past three days, I'm guessing whenever you added the new ePub format, too.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #244
erayd
Zealot

Thank you for letting me know - looks like it was caused by one of the changes I made last night when adding the new ePub renderer, and it affected all other output formats.

This issue is now fixed.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #245
octarineblues

Thanks, mate! That's brilliant!
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #246
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octarineblues View Post
Thanks, mate! That's brilliant!
No worries - my apologies for screwing it up in the first place.

How do you find the new renderer?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #247
octarineblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayd View Post
No worries - my apologies for screwing it up in the first place.

How do you find the new renderer?
It's got some nice features. The TOC is definitely less messy than with the old renderer, and I rather like the chapter headings. I've gotten used to reading fics on FFN, so the indents at the beginning of each paragraph are a bit strange, but nothing really bothersome. As far as downsides, I definitely like the title pages from the old renderer a lot more than the new ones. Also, I just noticed this, but for some reason, the new renderer causes all the text Reap the Whirlwind to turn out in bold face.

Trying a few other stories, none of them seem to turn out bold like that, but I did just find that The Poker Game isn't rendered right either. Chapters 2-4 come up blank. Pretty much the same thing with Hunter, except this time it's chapters 1-3 and 5 that are blank.

I haven't noticed anything else broken, but I've really only tested five or six stories.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #248
erayd
Zealot

Thank you - I'm investigating those issues now.

Regarding the title page - could you expand a bit more on what you like / dislike about the old & new ones? It's a bit hard to tweak it without knowing what needs changing.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #249
octarineblues

Erm, I suppose my main issues are with the size and the color scheme. The new title page has the title bloody huge, and I definitely prefer the old black and white over the new blue and white. Both of these are really personal preference, I suppose, and I haven't had a chance to actually see what the title page looks like on an ebook reader instead of what I usually end up reading ebooks with, the EPUBReader Firefox add-on, so it might seem less huge with the smaller screen.

Other than that, I get occasional use out of the publish/update date information that the old title page provides, and it's especially convenient to have it right there at the beginning when I need it. Speaking of useful information, if I were to request one thing, it'd have to be having a link to the original source for the story somewhere, either on the title page with the old or new renderer, or possibly on the copyright page with the new renderer. That's pretty much the only feature I really like in various other fanfiction grabbers that FLAG doesn't have.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #250
erayd
Zealot

The size of the title is variable - it starts at 45px, and then scales down in 5% increments until it takes up less than 85% of the page width. Basically the idea was to have it large enough to be visible in thumbnail previews, but not so large that it runs off the edge of the page. The author size is set at 65% of whatever the title size ends up being.

I'd like to get a little more feedback on the font sizes / colours, but I'm happy to consider scaling those down a bit - although remember that a 6" e-ink screen is about 170dpi, so it looks an awful lot smaller there than it does on a typical PC monitor.

Publish / update dates - not a problem, I'll add those.

Link to the original story - certainly, I'll add this to the copyright page.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #251
erayd
Zealot

OK - excessive bolding of some stories is fixed, as is the 'missing chapter' problem.

Is there anything else you've noticed?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #252
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Just downloaded a multi-chapter story using the new ePub and it looks great! Like the new color scheme on the title page (though of course on my Kindle 3 it's in b&w, with the title being a very easy-to-read white against the grey background), and the chapters and TOC all seem to be in the proper place.

Didn't see the link to the original URL on the copyright page, though. That's the only thing that was recently discussed in this thread that doesn't seem to be appearing (I'm using the web version, though, so maybe that's why it doesn't appear there). So fantastic job! I love this service - best I've used for ff.net. Thank you so much!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #253
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Back again...reading through a story and noticed a few strange things:

-it doesn't want to read the little two dots above "i" in the word "naive."
-it runs words together after an italicized word. (ie. "she wanted to runto him").
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #254
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Didn't see the link to the original URL on the copyright page, though.
This change has been made on my local copy, but is not yet uploaded to the server - adding this to the version running on the server requires making a few changes to the way things integrate. This will be live on the server sometime in the next day or two. This also applies to the created / updated dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Back again...reading through a story and noticed a few strange things:

-it doesn't want to read the little two dots above "i" in the word "naive."
-it runs words together after an italicized word. (ie. "she wanted to runto him").
Thanks for finding that - great to know. Do you have an example of a story that exhibits this issue that I can use to test?

Quote:
So fantastic job! I love this service - best I've used for ff.net. Thank you so much!
You're most welcome.

Are there any other features you'd like to see, or likes / hates / etc about what's there now?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #255
octarineblues

I just noticed something kind of weird in the new renderer with the indents at the beginning of each paragraph. They're present with center-aligned text, too, which looks really strange, and seems like something that shouldn't happen. Took me a little while to notice it since the indents are rather small, but once I saw it, it really seemed to stand out.

Tags
converter, fanfiction, fanfiction.net, grabber, lrf