Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Weird Kindle Fire HDX 7" problem--please help

So, I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday. Downloaded it from the Amazon website, followed exactly the instructions the Mayday operator emailed me.

Ever since I've done that...here's what's happening.

I turn on the HDX. Go to turn on Wi-Fi. When I do this, I notice the Mac Address says "Unavailable". I turn on the Wi-Fi...get the "wifi is turning on" message...and then the HDX reboots. After it reboots, the wi-fi is on and connected to wifi, and the MAC address shows. If I shut the wifi off, shut down the HDX, and turn it on again later...the same thing will happen when I try to use wifi.

I've tried it on three different wifi networks. I've tried a factory reset. I even tried reinstalling the firmware I downloaded from Amazon, but it won't let me do that (says it's an older version even though it's the same one).
Anyone have any suggestions?
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

That doesn't sound normal for any device. Amazon might have introduced a bug with the new firmware update. I would use Mayday again and talk to them about it.
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
It might be a bug in the software. I think mine updated itself to the latest version...when I went to go use it yesterday it said "wifi turning on" and just hung there. I turned the HDX off and back on and then it worked fine. I haven't messed with the wifi since then.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Problem is that I use the wifi a LOT. I have a replacement coming in the mail, but the moment I kick in the wifi to register it it'll update itself to the latest version. Is there any way to STOP it from doing that?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
Problem is that I use the wifi a LOT. I have a replacement coming in the mail, but the moment I kick in the wifi to register it it'll update itself to the latest version. Is there any way to STOP it from doing that?
It sounds to me like it was defective. I don't think the replacement will have that issue, it may have a different one though. These tablets are known to fail for various issues. My first one started going crazy all of sudden after a week. The background began to changes shades. It was like auto brightness was on when it was disabled. Factory reset did not fix it for me.

My guess is the WiFi thingy is failing. I don't think it's a software issue.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you place the firmware BIN file in the root internal storage or into one of the folders there? Did you have your unit fully charged before trying the upgrade?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Major General
Zealot

Yes, it was in the root internal storage, and it was charged to 100% before upgrading.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
Yes, it was in the root internal storage, and it was charged to 100% before upgrading.
You did nothing wrong it's either bad firmware update or hardware failure. It happens just be glad it did while it's still rather new as later down the line they will start sending you refurbished units as replacements.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote