Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
AudreyG
AudreyG began at the beginning.

Device: none
FBKindle for Kindle 4.0.1

Hi,

This is my first post, so be easy on me as I feel here being among so many experts of a different world. I tried forum's search facility but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am looking for full RTL Language support for my non-touch, keyboad-less basic Kindle with firmware 4.0.1. Since EPUB's are ideal for books with RTL language content, I assume I need EPUB reader on my Kindle, right?

Is there any super easy way to accomplish this, and if yes, I appreciate your step-by-step help.

Thank you,
Audrey
AudreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
There is no EPUB reader just yet for the K4NT.
What are the issues with mobipocket RTL files on the Kindle?
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, only Matan's special fbKindle build supports RTL languages on K3s. I have no idea whether it'll work work on the latest generation of Kindles.

Amazon's new KF8 format supports RTL on the Kindle Fire and Amazon announced that they'll add KF8 support to other devices:

Quote:
Q: Will KF8 capabilities be available on all Kindle devices?
A: Kindle Fire is the first Kindle device to support KF8 - in the coming months we will roll out KF8 to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps.
In case you're wondering how that'll help you with your RTL epubs, Amazon offers a free publishing tool that'll automatically convert ePub files to KF8 files.

Once the next firmware update with KF8 support is released, you can simply convert your files with Kindlegen or open them with Kindle Previewer, which will automatically convert the ePub to KF8.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-13-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
AudreyG

Thank you for your replies.

Is KF8 as good as EPUB? How do you compare them?

Thank you.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyG View Post
Is KF8 as good as EPUB? How do you compare them?
I haven't used KF8 myself, but based on the specs published by Amazon, it supports only a subset of the features available in ePubs. Nevertheless it should be more than sufficient for the needs of most publishers.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorphos View Post
There is no EPUB reader just yet for the K4NT.
Duokan 2012 R1 will support K4NT
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
AudreyG

How about web surfing through their experimental browser? Currently RTL text is rendered to LTR with ugly fonts. Will KF8 help that too?