Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #12526
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, the version I read was 1400+ pages long, which knocked me back on my progress towards my 100 book challenge last year. Interesting in what you say about The Three Musketeers and sequels, because I have all of them lined up to read. May move them further down the TBRL now...
The first one was good, just nothing in comparison to The Count. I just couldn't get into the sequel to TTM, I might try "The Man In The Iron Mask" though.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #12527
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The first one was good, just nothing in comparison to The Count. I just couldn't get into the sequel to TTM, I might try "The Man In The Iron Mask" though.
The Man In The Iron Mask lives up to its expectations. I really enjoyed it.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #12528
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
The Man In The Iron Mask lives up to its expectations. I really enjoyed it.
Okay, good to know. Added to my TBR list.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #12529
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Okay, good to know. Added to my TBR list.
After you read it, you should also see the film.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #12530
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
This sounds very good. Will definitely read it.
I hope you will like it. It is set in medieval Norway of 1300s and describes life of a woman. Plenty of believable characters of all kinds, noble and weak, men, women children, young and old, a page turner and so very vividly written you ARE there as soon as you start reading. It is amazing how the book transports you to that long gone world. Very interesting to see their beliefs, code of honour, customs, way of thinking. As the main character ages, she evolves and matures. It is a book that will stay in the memory. Very human.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #12531
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
After you read it, you should also see the film.
I've already watched the Movie, I actually saw it first. And I watched The Count Of Monte Cristo first.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #12532
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
from sir arthur conan doyle

the adventure of the priory school
the adventure of the naval treaty
the adventure of the final problem
the ring of thoth
when the world screamed
a case of identity
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #12533
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
I'm just finishing the latest Lee Childs - Jack Reacher novel. I've read the whole "Reacher" series now and I'm looking for a similar author. Any suggestions?
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #12534
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The James Potter Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished re-reading Year 7, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'. This concludes my current re-read of the 7 Harry Potter books. I really enjoyed them all (again) and am probably going to begin a re-read of the 3 James Potter novels (by G. Norman Lippert) while I'm in this Potterverse mindset.
Last evening I completed a re-read of James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing and this morning I started a re-read of James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #12535
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm currently reading a wonderful collection of horror pulp stories from the golden age of horror pulps, and written by the great Hugh B. Cave.

It's "Murgunstrumm and Others," and won the World Fantasy Award for Best Collection (1978). It's a HUGE collection of stories, and the price is only $4.99 - from Amazon.

It was originally published by Carcosa House [Karl Edward Wagner].

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #12536
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat View Post
I'm just finishing the latest Lee Childs - Jack Reacher novel. I've read the whole "Reacher" series now and I'm looking for a similar author. Any suggestions?
Someone here mentioned that David Baldacci's new series, starting with Zero Day, features a character very similar to Jack Reacher.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #12537
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
To find similar authors, try Literature Map here http://www.literature-map.com/

You enter teh author's name and a page opens with his name in the center and various authors' names arrayed around him. And the closer an author is to the name you entered, the more like him they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #12538
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Vince Flynns - Mitch Rapp Series and John Sandford - Prey Series
There were a number of recommendations in the Lee Child thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=lee+child
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #12539
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami just popped into my inbox from the library.
I read the first chapter and it didn't grab me, plus I'm just in a mood right now to read Game of Thrones and Sherlock Holmes, so I'm going to stick to those for the time being. I returned Norwegian Wood to the library.

Just Finished:

- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - this book was a chore to read. It had no characters I was able to relate to, and nothing interesting happened until the end. I mainly read it to get ready for the movie, but now I'm not even sure I want to see the movie when it comes out.

- UR by Stephen King - I bought and read this today because I realized I downloaded the sample onto my Kindle app, like, a year ago and never read it. It was good, but the product placement for Kindle was a bit blatant and annoying. But what was interesting is that this was released almost three years before 11/22/63, and you can see the kernels of that story in this. It was almost like King wrote UR, then said "I could stretch this out into a whole novel."

Currently reading:

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (64%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (42%)

- Whitechapel: The Last Stand of Sherlock Holmes by Bernard J. Schaffer (20%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #12540
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished Elizabeth Moon's new Paks world book Echos of Betrayal. Great book, until the end, where I was kind of annoyed that we're left hanging yet again, and it's at least another year until we can continue.

Also just read A Rising Thunder by David Weber. This is the latest book in the main-line of the Honor Harrington series. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. It had a lot less of the repetitive carrying on of some of his recent books, and it also felt much better edited. It clearly ended with lots of things unresolved, but didn't feel as artificially so as the Moon book. It left me wanting the next book, but not feeling like I was left hanging.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote