Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Font
Connoisseur
Font began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which best and easiest for Font features?

Including system, menu, text title and content font be changed.
Font is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Pocketbook line allows for all of those to be user defined through Settings panels; the use standard TrueType/OpenType fonts. They also allow changing the bookshelf look-n-feel through the use of themes.
Check the Pocketbook forum for threads on Themes and FBReader180 for details.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Pocketbook line allows for all of those to be user defined through Settings panels; the use standard TrueType/OpenType fonts. They also allow changing the bookshelf look-n-feel through the use of themes.
Check the Pocketbook forum for threads on Themes and FBReader180 for details.
Please could you tell why is FBReader 180 preferred if PB360 has features? FBReader 180 has a fiction connotation based on it's name (without acronym) and I am not interested in fiction.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1- The Pocketbook readers run LINUX and offer an SDK to allow the independent development of applications for their readers.
2- In addition to mobile Adobe Digital Editions (the reader app for DRM-encrusted ePub) the Pocketbook readers come with a version of the open source FBReader ported to the Pocketbook platform.
3- FBReader180 is an *alternate* reader app for Pocketbook readers that allows paging using the motion sensor. It also exposes, via of a series interactive settings panes, dozens of formatting overrides that go beyond the (hardly limited) features of the baseline Pocketbook reader apps.
4- The main reason to prefer FBReader180 is the granularity and specificity of the extended options which let you set rendering options on a per-tag basis to single-point precision.
Baseline features:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908
FBReader180:
http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...eader180_guide
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
1- The Pocketbook readers run LINUX and offer an SDK to allow the independent development of applications for their readers.
2- In addition to mobile Adobe Digital Editions (the reader app for DRM-encrusted ePub) the Pocketbook readers come with a version of the open source FBReader ported to the Pocketbook platform.
3- FBReader180 is an *alternate* reader app for Pocketbook readers that allows paging using the motion sensor. It also exposes, via of a series interactive settings panes, dozens of formatting overrides that go beyond the (hardly limited) features of the baseline Pocketbook reader apps.
4- The main reason to prefer FBReader180 is the granularity and specificity of the extended options which let you set rendering options on a per-tag basis to single-point precision.
Baseline features:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908
FBReader180:
http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...eader180_guide
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...x#5.22_Devices says the controller for PB360 is PVI6001A (Apollo) though this post 11-17-2009, 11:13 AM https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...p/t-61908.html says Epson controller

Thus could you or others clarify this? I would prefer if there was not this Apollo name connotation for the controller component.
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Font View Post
Thus could you or others clarify this?
Not. Me.

All I know is ebook readers aren't PCs so you don't get to choose hardware at the component level. They are consumer electronics gadgets; they what they are, mostly in a "take it or leave it" mode.

Me, I'm happy the PB360 lets me control the software (most other products don't) and that it works to my satisfaction. It is a device for reading that lets me read the way I want to read. I'm more interested in what it does than what type of plastic or brand of semiconductor the chinese factory chose to use to get the price into marketable range.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not. Me.

All I know is ebook readers aren't PCs so you don't get to choose hardware at the component level. They are consumer electronics gadgets; they what they are, mostly in a "take it or leave it" mode.

Me, I'm happy the PB360 lets me control the software (most other products don't) and that it works to my satisfaction. It is a device for reading that lets me read the way I want to read. I'm more interested in what it does than what type of plastic or brand of semiconductor the chinese factory chose to use to get the price into marketable range.
I would be interested to find out if controller is an Apollo or an Epson. Does the PB360 allow you to photograph the screen? Also can you read the PDFs properly?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Font
Connoisseur

Have the PDFs got to to be tagged to read them better? Are the PDFs on it having dashes/dots between pages and not page sheets?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Font View Post
Does the PB360 allow you to photograph the screen?
This I can anwer: the pocketbook software has a Screenshot feature (that is how Kacir compiled his excellent review).

Tags
fonts