Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
M.Whitmore
M.Whitmore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Secure Ereader on Nook

Afternoon,
I have done a few searches but have not found a solid answer. I purchased two dictionaries from fictionwise.com and am unable to load them successfully on my nook. I have done the drag and drop but they do not even show up on the nooks internal memory. Does anyone have any advice or is stripping the drm the only way? I don't mind a little work I have already dealt with the nook unable to connect, the battery life and can live with this but would like for these to work so I can carry less books at school.

Thanks,

Marcus
M.Whitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I don't think this has anything to do with DRM, but the fact that the books are dictionaries. I haven't been able to find a way to access my sideloaded dictionaries, either. Although, since I sideloaded my MW collegiate dictionary I think the nook has started using that for "look up word" searches. It seems the definitions are more expansive and include year of origin and other data that I don't remember the built-in dictionary having. I wish we could manually select which dictionary the device uses as well as look up words directly, rather than only choosing a word in a book. Might be something worth emailing B&N about.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
M.Whitmore

Thanks for the help. I will give BN a call tomorrow if possible. It's sad to see that neither of them work. The first one is the same you have the Webster dictionary and the second a English/Spanish translator. Hopefully I can find a work around due to the fact I'd like to depend on my nook to lighten my load.

Marcus
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with DRM, but the fact that the books are dictionaries. I haven't been able to find a way to access my sideloaded dictionaries, either. Although, since I sideloaded my MW collegiate dictionary I think the nook has started using that for "look up word" searches. It seems the definitions are more expansive and include year of origin and other data that I don't remember the built-in dictionary having. I wish we could manually select which dictionary the device uses as well as look up words directly, rather than only choosing a word in a book. Might be something worth emailing B&N about.
I read somewhere in the nook documentation that you can change the dictionary by downloading it to the nook and opening it. Once it has been opened the nook uses that dictionary.

However, if you do not see the dictionary at all I am not sure how you open it unless the fact that it is on the nook the nook then uses it??
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm sure you've already tried this but maybe......I put a number of eReader and Adobe pdfs onmy Nook and it didn't see them either. Then I remembered in the manual, one very small section, that states you must do the eject through "My Computer" to get the Nook to recognize the new data. I went back on my computer and did the eject per their instructions and everything is fine. Suddenly the Nooks saw the books uploaded.

You've probably already done that, but I thought it was worth a mention.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
M.Whitmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I'm sure you've already tried this but maybe......I put a number of eReader and Adobe pdfs onmy Nook and it didn't see them either. Then I remembered in the manual, one very small section, that states you must do the eject through "My Computer" to get the Nook to recognize the new data. I went back on my computer and did the eject per their instructions and everything is fine. Suddenly the Nooks saw the books uploaded.

You've probably already done that, but I thought it was worth a mention.
Just in case I did not I tried this. What was also interesting is that under the my documents I had a sub folder that was automatically named unknown that had two dictionaries in it. Must be that the nook automatically files them if it won't read or show them on the device. I'll give BN customer support a call and see what they say.