Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #16981
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Some people still go to the public library for hardcovers. For Agency priced ebooks it may be a more affordable option.

I go once a week to pick up DVDs and will also borrow a book if it's on my TBR and available.
I go to the library about once a week, too. I do read many more ebooks than I do paper books, though, and part of the reason that I go to the library is to take my niece with me and install a love of reading in her. It makes for a nice afternoon walk with my husband, niece and son. I also sometimes use the library as a way to sample books that I'm interested in before getting the ebook (or sometimes paper) version.

I'm reading Fool's Fate, and I'm dreading the end of the Farseer stories. I do hope that Robin Hobb decides to write more books that feature the Six Duchies characters at some point, I will sorely miss them after I finish with this book!

Neil Gaiman's "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" was excellent, just beautiful. I will definitely be rereading it at some point, and recommending it to my friends. I suspect that it will be one of those books that I enjoy even more after rereading them.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 06-25-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #16982
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm just not that bothered. I'll still pick up a pbook if it's a bargain, and I don't find myself thinking about the format at all while I'm reading something.

Yes, most of my remaining Hugo winners at the start of the year were in paper because they either aren't or weren't available as ebooks, and I am much more likely to buy an ebook now because they are cheaper, but I simply haven't developed (or maybe have recovered from) this odd hatred for pbooks.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #16983
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm reading Fool's Fate, and I'm dreading the end of the Farseer stories. I do hope that Robin Hobb decides to write more books that feature the Six Duchies characters at some point, I will sorely miss them after I finish with this book!
I'm midway through The Liveship Traders and liking them! I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of the action takes place on land. I love the multi-POV woven storyline style and the fact that all the books are set in the same world. Makes for very rich reading.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #16984
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Personally, I pretty much always buy ebooks, but sometimes I'll be at a store and see a book I wanted to read in the "bargain" section, for cheaper than the ebook. I bought "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King in hardcover because it was $6, while the ebook is $10. I also bought his new "Joyland" book because it's not available as an ebook, only in paperback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've reached the point where if a book isn't available as an eBook, I simply won't buy it. I have MORE than enough to read in my TBR, so I'll read something else.
I very rarely buy a book on paper these days. Although I do on occasion make an exception when a "must-read" book is unavailable as an ebook, I have to really really want it before I'll even consider it. Stephen King has written some very entertaining work, but nothing I'd regret on my deathbed having not read. Nothing is his entire canon is what I'd consider a must-read.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #16985
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
On to Honor Among Enemies, HH6.
Another excellent book in the Honor Harrington series. I will continue the series soon, but first I have a library book to read. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz was recommended in this thread and in at least one other recently, so I thought I would give it a try. It certainly is interesting although it is taking a little time to get used to the perspective.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #16986
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I read Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey and liked it very much! Now I'm reading Pros and Cons by Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg before I go on to Kill the Dead (The 2nd Sandman Slim book) I also have Blameless by Gail Carriger from the library to read after that. (On paper! I was getting impatient for the ebook. lol)
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #16987
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Beau Geste by P C Wren is probably the iconic French Foreign Legion adventure novel. It is far more elaborate than the film with a series of adventures after the famous Battle for the Desert Fort.

I'm not sure that modern readers will appreciate either the paternalistic, colonial attitude dominating most of the book or the "stiff upper lip" approach--especially in that final chapter--but at its best the novel is a definite page-turner.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #16988
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Charm School by Nelson DeMille. Great book!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #16989
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just finished Stephen King - Skeleton Crew, great book
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #16990
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading The Courtship of Princess Leia on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leia.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	107383  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #16991
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
After a bit of a disappointing spill with an indie author, I jumped right back in the saddle with another indie - John Carnell who wrote Thugs Like Us. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, set in Broadgate UK during the punk era of the late seventies. A bleak and violent study on pointless lives living pointlessly, the writing was a cut above. It's only 158 pages so it was a quick read, but in my opinion, totally worth it. I'll be buying a couple of copies as gifts.

Now I've picked up a book I've owned for years from one of my favourite authors: Passage by Connie Willis. It's about time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #16992
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Having just finished a bit of heavy duty reading of Lucretius' On the Nature of Things, I do believe it's time to take a nice, refreshing Perry Mason break. Up next: The Case of the Hesitant Hostess by Erle Stanley Gardner

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #16993
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now, see, here is one where I would have said to pass and stick with the TV series. I found the Gash books too aggressively misogynist.
I agree that the first scenes in the first book are dreadful. I also feel they're a mistake, and that the rest of the book, and (I hope) the rest of the series don't show Lovejoy's charcater in quite such a bad light.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #16994
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A nice little story, but (I think) strictly a side-story.

Next up: Wolf in Shadow by John Lambshead. A novel set in the same world as his story in the urban fantasy collection "The Wild Side", with some of the same characters turning up. Knowledge of the short story is not needed for the novel. It's looking good so far.
An excellent fantasy story set in modern-day London. There were one or two things that grated, but overall it was really good.

Then I read Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer. A good romance, with characters from These Old Shades and their children.

And now I'm reading The King’s Name by Jo Walton. The second in her first trilogy of fantasy stories set in a not-Arthurian, not-Britain.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #16995
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, I really liked Devil's Cub. One of my favourite Heyer books. Right now, just starting the Weber story in Beginnings. Paul was right, the second story in the book was a lot better than the first.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote