Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
trow125
trow125 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Trouble tweaking

I have been trying to generate MOBI and EPUB files using Calibre following the instructions in this tutorial: http://cameronchapman.com/ebook-form...e-easy-way.htm

The output looked great, EXCEPT for the copyright pages etc. I was using Calibre to remove spacing between paragraphs with an Indent size of 1.5 em. However, I did NOT want those indents in my front matter (copyright page, etc.). I was able to fix this in my EPUB file by using the tweak command in Calibre to edit my CSS and HTML. However, when I tried to tweak the MOBI output, it generated this error message: "Could not explode the MOBI file. This MOBI file does not contain a KF8 format book. KF8 is the new format from Amazon. calibre can only tweak MOBI files that contain KF8 books. Older MOBI files without KF8 are not tweakable."

So when I tried to convert my tweaked, "perfect" EPUB to MOBI, it kept indenting all the paragraphs, ignoring the changes I'd made to the CSS when I tweaked it. I have a feeling that if I could only tweak the MOBI file I could solve my problem. How do I generate a MOBI file with KF8 that Calibre will be happy with?
trow125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to AZW3 instead of MOBI, calibre will allow you to tweak azw3.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-03-2012 at 03:43 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
trow125
trow125 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you so much -- that worked! I tried transferring the file to my (first generation) Kindle to check it, but it didn't show up in my list of items. Can first generation Kindles read AZW3 files?
trow125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you need a Kindle Keyboard or newer.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kf8, mobi, tweak, tweaks