Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Incandenza
Incandenza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thumbs down Send to Kindle new converting errors

Simply put, I'm noticing that documents recently created from PDF files have a lot of mistakes. One of them had a lot of spaces between words removed, specially after apostrophes, and huge gaps between words on some paragraphs (we are speaking of half-line gaps, making these paragraphs seem like they were badly ragged-right). Another one had some letters from words removed (e.g., 'first' sometimes appeared as 'rst', and I saw once 'reflect' appearing as 're ect'). Both of them had spaces inside some words (e.g. 'significant' appeared once or twice as 'signi ficant'). The same files were flawlessly converted before.

Is someone here facing these issues? What the hell happened with Amazon?
Incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is a terrible format to convert from. It won;t convert without errors. So don't even bother.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
If you have to convert a PDF, regardless of the problems, wouldn't it be better to download one of those Convert PDF to text programs for either MS Office or LibreOffice and do a quick errors scan before uploading?

As a mostly fiction reader, I don't read hardly any PDF sourced documents. But If I did, I think I'd prefer to have the method that offers me the most control over the conversion, than a "One size fits all' method.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A decent OCR program, such as Abbyy FineReader, is generally the best way to convert a PDF.

When you say "The same files were flawlessly converted before", presumably that wasn't when you were converting from PDF to some other format, was it? PDF is a "terminal format", which is to say you can convert to PDF, but you cannot convert from PDF without a great deal of effort cleaning up the resulting text.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote