Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
johnarthurnichol
johnarthurnichol began at the beginning.

Device: none
EPUB Validator Persistent Errors

I'm trying to validate a find layout EPUB and I keep getting the same two errors:

OPF-001 (ERROR) Message: There was an error when parsing the EPUB version: Version not found.
RSC-005 (ERROR) Message: Error while parsing file 'The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.'.

This is the beginning code in my .opf file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0" >

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">

I'm really stumped and would be grateful if you could help.
johnarthurnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
That is correct code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
johnarthurnichol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is correct code.
Hi, and thank you. It's good to have that confirmed at least. What could be causing the error messages then?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The first message is most likely displayed because there are other syntax errors in the .opf file. Simply open and save it with Calibre Editor or Sigil to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthurnichol View Post
RSC-005 (ERROR) Message: Error while parsing file 'The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.'.
This message is displayed, if you use a stand-alone ampersand instead of an ampersand entity. E.g.

<p>a & b</b>

instead of

<p>a &amp; b</b>

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-23-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
johnarthurnichol

Thank you, Doitsu.

I had ampersands in the middle of categories (eg Action & Adventure) in the BISAC categories. I hadn't thought they would affect the validation, but when I replaced them with &amp; the two persistent errors went away (thank you).

But in their place I had a long, long list of things the Validator didn't like in my pages, and in the opf file and the nav.html file. A huge list. None of it had turned up in the Validator reports before.

I worked on the page errors, thinking I could resolve those more easily, but each time I fixed one, it would find something else wrong. I had to add a viewport setting, then I had to add a height and width to it. When I'd done that it said I had a fatal error on every page because the <head> tag wasn't closed with a </head> tag ... But it was there. Every page had a </head> tag at the end of the <head> section.

I downloaded Sigil then, and opened the EPUB with that as you'd suggested. Sigil offered to fix errors and I chose yes. Then I saved that version and tried it in the epub validator. It returned a much shorter list of errors in the opf and nav.html files (no fatal errors listed).

In the meantime I have no Idea if the other changes I made (viewport) were even necessary.
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthurnichol View Post
None of it had turned up in the Validator reports before.
I don't think its unusual for validators to stop looking for more errors once serious errors have been found. You have to keep doing the fix/re-validate loop until it's clean.

I think if all the errors are only warnings then you're more likely to catch them all in one pass.

It's also possible that different validators have different approaches.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's also possible that different validators have different approaches.
But the only validator that matters to publishers/stores is epubcheck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
validation errors, version not found