Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sigil 0.9.9

Got an RSS notify telling me Sigil 0.9.9 was released, but when I looked for the Windows and Mac installers on GIT they weren't there

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It is coming, please be patient.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not certain how you're being notified, but a 0.9.9 source tag has been created on github, and a 0.9.9 Release has been drafted (both on Github and the Wordpress blog), but nothing has been officially published yet--hopefully tonight or tomorrow. So I'm not certain why any of those preparatory actions would have triggered a release notification.

What exactly is your RSS aggregator polling for notifications about new Sigil releases?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-22-2017 at 09:37 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Possibly https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases.atom
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Well that's silly. They obviously shouldn't include unpublished releases in that feed.
Advert
Old 12-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What exactly is your RSS aggregator polling for notifications about new Sigil releases?
Came from the same place as previous notices came from, viz :

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	160911

I thought maybe the Windows and Mac 'packages' might now be somewhere other than https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/

Added : can't recall receiving a similar early notice for 0.9.8, 0.9.7 etc releases. But, maybe by the time I opened their RSS notices the full enchilada had materialised. I don't use popup notifies, I periodically pick and choose from what's in my Feeds sidebar, things can sit there for days, weeks even, before I open or discard them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Came from the same place as previous notices came from, viz :

Attachment 160911

I thought maybe the Windows and Mac 'packages' might now be somewhere other than https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/
Your image is looking at the "Tags" tab. The https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/ url clearly shows that the latest release is 0.9.8. Only a tag named 0.9.9 appears on the releases page.

Quote:
Added: can't recall receiving a similar early notice for 0.9.8, 0.9.7 etc releases. But, maybe by the time I opened their RSS notices the full enchilada had materialised. I don't use popup notifies, I periodically pick and choose from what's in my Feeds sidebar, things can sit there for days, weeks even, before I open or discard them.
It's possible. Drafts don't usually hang around this long. They typically get published relatively soon. Another possibility is that this tag is a little different. It's a GPG signed/verified tag. As such, it's annotated. So it's possible that all previous Sigil tags were of the "light-weight" variety.

It all should be moot relatively soon, though. I'm going to push the publish button sometime very soon.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your image is looking at the "Tags" tab. The https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/ url clearly shows that the latest release is 0.9.8. Only a tag named 0.9.9 appears on the releases page.

It's possible. Drafts don't usually hang around this long. They typically get published relatively soon. Another possibility is that this tag is a little different. It's a GPG signed/verified tag. As such, it's annotated. So it's possible that all previous Sigil tags were of the "light-weight" variety.

It all should be moot relatively soon, though. I'm going to push the publish button sometime very soon.
Yep, the topmost item in the sidebar under Release notes from Sigil now goes to your new/updated post. So as suggested, it was an unfortuitous timing issue.

BTW I was not pressuring you guys for the new release, only pointing out an 'anomaly' with the RSS notices. Kevin did say sometime over the holiday season, I assumed he meant our holiday season - all of Dec, Jan and Feb

All the notices you see in the sidebar reference the 'tags' tab. At some stage I would have clicked that RSS icon you can see in the url bar, and then I would have selected Feeds->Tech Stuff as the place to put them.

If I ever needed to download again I would click the topmost item in that list. By design I don't get any notifications from MR or similar forums.

I see Sigil now tells me there is a new release available, but no auto-update - thank goodness.

Issue closed

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
BTW I was not pressuring you guys for the new release, only pointing out an 'anomaly' with the RSS notices. Kevin did say sometime over the holiday season, I assumed he meant our holiday season - all of Dec, Jan and Feb
Oh, I never thought you were pressuring. I was just hoping to figure out how you were getting notified when it wasn't officially published yet. It's all good.

Quote:
BTW I wouldn't object if Sigil told me there was a new release available when I ran it; a'la calibre, goodsync, crap cleaner, etc, etc. But no auto-update thankyou.
But Sigil does do just that.

It checks once every six hours when launching Sigil, and will notify you once per new release that a new version is available.

That functionality was broken for a while, but it's been fixed for several versions now. If you don't update to 0.9.9 yet, you should get the "Update Available" pop up when launching Sigil after six hours have elapsed from the last check.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-22-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

We must've x-posted - I discovered the 'update available' popup and adjusted my post.

And I stopped worrying about firewalls etc when the NSA confiscated my email account and all its content. If you leave the doors and windows open, burglars don't have to break in, hence they do less damage