Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #961
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
For the record, the file-system time on my Kobo H2O has been very wrong (a constant several hours in the future) for so long that I've stopped looking at it as a bug and accepted it as an idiosyncrasy. I would like to see a fix, but I have no expectation of that ever happening.

Similarly, I feel the same tired acceptance at having the driver name change with each firmware update, such that I have to go into Disk Management and reassign my preferred drive letter every time. It's part of the process now - annoying, but it has to be done if I want my system to work in my preferred manner.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #962
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
It sounds more like wrong time zone for some reason. Did you change your time zone and daily savings? Or check them?
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #963
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
It sounds more like wrong time zone for some reason. Did you change your time zone and daily savings? Or check them?
If you're asking me - I specified file-system time for a reason. Through the GUI as I'm using the device, the time is correct. However, when I connect it to my computer to do things like sideload books, the last-modified time/date on the database is several hours in the future.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #964
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Sounds to me like the system is using UTC internally and correcting for it when displaying the time in the GUI. Not an uncommon approach for devices that are used in multiple time zones. Are you in North America by any chance?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #965
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it be possible for the Kobo utilities to be modified to set the time/date when the Reader is plugged into Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #966
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible for the Kobo utilities to be modified to set the time/date when the Reader is plugged into Calibre?
The PC sees the Kobo device as a MSD. There isn't any way to access the clock that I know of.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #967
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
For the record, the file-system time on my Kobo H2O has been very wrong (a constant several hours in the future) for so long that I've stopped looking at it as a bug and accepted it as an idiosyncrasy. I would like to see a fix, but I have no expectation of that ever happening.

Similarly, I feel the same tired acceptance at having the driver name change with each firmware update, such that I have to go into Disk Management and reassign my preferred drive letter every time. It's part of the process now - annoying, but it has to be done if I want my system to work in my preferred manner.
I just added a book to my KA1, ejected, let the book be processed, reconnected and looked at the time stamps. The time stamp on the .kobo directory and the KoboReader.sqlite file were 8 hours in the future (current local time is 2018-Jan-20, 5:35 PM, time stamp is 2018-Jan-21, 1:35:31 AM). Since PST is 8 hours behind UTC, I'd say, that, like several Linux systems I've used, your Kobo is using UTC for the file system timestamps.

As for the name change with each update, that is an annoyance that we are going to have to live with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #968
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Are you in North America by any chance?
I am indeed.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #969
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
All unix systems (that I have ever seen) use UTC as their time and adjust it for localtime when displaying it to a user.

Linux even (by default) stores the current time in the hardware clock as UTC.
Windows wants to store it in the hardware clock as localtime. If you dual boot and expect your time to not be confused, this has to be fixed.

I would hope calibre would adjust for this.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #970
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
All unix systems (that I have ever seen) use UTC as their time and adjust it for localtime when displaying it to a user.

Linux even (by default) stores the current time in the hardware clock as UTC.
Windows wants to store it in the hardware clock as localtime. If you dual boot and expect your time to not be confused, this has to be fixed.

I would hope calibre would adjust for this.
Where do you think calibre should be compensating for the time? This discussion started because the clock on someone device didn't keep good time. There isn't anything calibre can do about that.

The file system time was mentioned. Again, out of calibres control for the files on the device that the device actually manipulates. Calibre will write books to the device and they will have timestamps based on the clock of the computer that is doing this.

Reading and changing the internal database is the only thing that calibre can handle. From memory, the driver is converting the timestamps in the database to local times on the computer. But, that assumes the timezone set on the device matches the timezone on the computer. And that both are correct.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #971
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I am indeed.
I'd look up UTC time, see if it matches the filesystem time on your Kobo. I'd be willing to bet that it does.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #972
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where do you think calibre should be compensating for the time?
I think you missed a point. No, I don't think calibre should compensate for a drifting clock.

Yes, I do think calibre should be compensating for the device using UTC when the local OS may use UTC or localtime. The teeny bit of code I've already looked at appeared to be making this adjustment, although I'd have to think about it really hard to figure out if it was doing it correctly.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #973
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I think you missed a point. No, I don't think calibre should compensate for a drifting clock.
And that I missed your point was the point of my post. You made a statement without any real qualification of what you were referring to. I then stated the possibilities based on what the recent discussion in the thread.
Quote:
Yes, I do think calibre should be compensating for the device using UTC when the local OS may use UTC or localtime. The teeny bit of code I've already looked at appeared to be making this adjustment, although I'd have to think about it really hard to figure out if it was doing it correctly.
The driver should be doing it correctly, but it doesn't matter much. It doesn't really use any timestamps that are read from the database. The only one I can think of is the date displayed in the device list. It does set timestamps when creating collections, but with the way those work, they won't matter much if they are out.

The Kobo Utilities plugin does more with the timestamps, and they should be correct.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #974
DipperGF
Fantasy reader
DipperGF began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O v2
My reading activity still shows 0 for everything and also most achievements don't work. Are they planning to resolve this in an update?
DipperGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #975
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipperGF View Post
My reading activity still shows 0 for everything and also most achievements don't work. Are they planning to resolve this in an update?
Simple answer is that Kobo is aware of the issue and it should be fixed in a new firmware release. As to when that release is going to be seen? My best guess is when the Clara HD is released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app