Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #106
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Version 10:

No changes at all, just the update bundle was packed with the newest kindletool to support installing on PW2.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #107
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Has anyone tested this hack on 5.4.2 or 5.4.2.1?
Finally I bought a PW2 and had a chance to test the BackDoorLock on it. The update mechanism seems to be the same as on PW1 and everything seems to be working.
I have firmware 5.4.2 and I am quite confident BackDoorLock will prevent silent update to 5.4.2.1.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #108
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thank you very much.

I installed it in my kpw2 and seems that works fine, when pulse "lock state" the screen show "back door lock"

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #109
Maikax
Maikax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad 1y.... ¡Kindle Paperwhite!
Same as ersott.

Thanks, thanks and thanks
Maikax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #110
negev
negev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just discovered that with the backdoor lock enabled on a PW2 with the latest firmware (5.4.3.2) Amazon are still able to remotely remove books from the device.

I assume the lock is only for updates, is there any way to prevent them from remotely killing books on the device?
negev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #111
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by negev View Post
Just discovered that with the backdoor lock enabled on a PW2 with the latest firmware (5.4.3.2) Amazon are still able to remotely remove books from the device.

I assume the lock is only for updates, is there any way to prevent them from remotely killing books on the device?
You assume correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
This simple hack has only one purpose: stop Amazon from updating your Kindle silently without your explicit consent.
It is intended for users who believe in "My device - my rules" principle.

It doesn't stop Kindle from downloading the update file but once it is downloaded, any silent installation attempt fails instantly in an early stage without depleting the battery and intercepting the GUI.

Here is how it works:

It replaces the line
Code:
_UPDATE_WAIT="/usr/sbin/updatewait"
in /etc/updater.conf with this one:
Code:
_UPDATE_WAIT="$(if [ -x /mnt/us/backdoorlock/updatewait ]; then echo /mnt/us/backdoorlock/updatewait; else echo /usr/sbin/updatewait; fi)"
Wrapper script /mnt/us/backdoorlock/updatewait passes any calls to /usr/sbin/updatewait but only if called with parameter -i (immediate/interactive) - that's how "Update Your Kindle" calls it.
OTOH silent updates call updatewait without any parameters and such attempts are intercepted and logged to /mnt/us/backdoorlock/update.log or /mnt/us/extensions/backdoorlock/update.log .

On KT and KPW lines
Code:
legacy.GET.FWUO=com.lab126.ota
legacy.GET.FWUP=com.lab126.ota
are commented out in file /etc/todo/handler_registry.conf
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #112
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread has a firewall to block Amazon's servers entirely. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205925
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #113
citron2k1
citron2k1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Does this hack still not work with PW1 on firmware 5.4.4.2?
citron2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #114
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by citron2k1 View Post
Does this hack still not work with PW1 on firmware 5.4.4.2?
?????
Where did you see it reported that this "hack" does not work on 5.4.4.2?
Link please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #115
citron2k1
citron2k1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
?????
Where did you see it reported that this "hack" does not work on 5.4.4.2?
Link please.
Oh I must've misinterpreted dsmid's original post where he posted, "Silent update detection does not work on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite as the hack uses a different method to stop silent updates on these devices."
citron2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #116
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron2k1 View Post
Oh I must've misinterpreted dsmid's original post where he posted, "Silent update detection does not work on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite as the hack uses a different method to stop silent updates on these devices."
Implies that the hack works.

I assume what doesn't work is the report card about the successful blocking.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #117
dsmid
Linux devotee

Exactly.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #118
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Finally I bought a PW2 and had a chance to test the BackDoorLock on it. The update mechanism seems to be the same as on PW1 and everything seems to be working.
I have firmware 5.4.2 and I am quite confident BackDoorLock will prevent silent update to 5.4.2.1.
I while back I backed down to 5.4.2.1 because that enabled me to use CM and Calibre/Collections Plugin and I'm happy with what I can do.

Will the BackDoorLock prevent any automatic updates while I'm at this level?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #119
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Will the BackDoorLock prevent any automatic updates while I'm at this level?
As far as I know - yes, it will.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #120
j0ke42
j0ke42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,
I had to re-install some stuff on my KPW2 after an update. So I thought I'd install the backdoor lock too this time. But I didn't get the option to update the Kindle (greyed out). Probably this one doesn't work for my Kindle?
I had the same problem before with Python and Screensaver hack, for these I needed the newest snapshots. So maybe my Kindle is too new? Will there be a backdoor lock that will work on my Kindle? Thanks!

EDIT: extra info:
first 4 characters of serial number: 9017
The firmware version is 5.4.5.1
j0ke42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock