Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #16
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
But then I'll lose all my personal documents! The whole reason I created this thread is because I need a way to back up my Kindle on my computer before I do a factory reset! That's what I need help with!
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then read up, because obviously you're not familiar with the tools & concepts involved here, and, frankly, it's a bit out of scope for any of us to explain these here.

(Also, it's 8:30AM here, and I haven't slept yet, so you probably haven't caught me at my best, to say the least. . Granted, nobody cares, so I'll stop rambling/ranting/repeating myself and go to sleep for good, now.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 02:31 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #18
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

I only signed up to this forum because I was desperate to fix my Kindle. And I still need help!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Stonecold
Connoisseur

If I wait for the 3.0.2 firmware update to be sent to my Kindle OTA, will it uninstall the hacks on my Kindle (which I hope it will) or will the hacks prevent it from downloading? Because I can't get my Kindle to connect to my computer to remove the faulty USB Network hack, I can't uninstall it manually and I'm hoping the OTA firmware update will do that for me. Are there any dangers in doing this? It's just that this firmware update is my only hope...

Also, when is firmware update 3.0.2 going to be delivered OTA to California?

Last edited by Stonecold; 10-20-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And, no, an official update won't touch anything pertaining to the hacks. The only thing you could do that would disable (not uninstall!) the hack is a reset to factory defaults.
----^
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
I think the only simple way to rename that file is to get the usbNetwork hack working so that you can SSH in and rename it.

I found the link. The driver you need is called the Windows Mobile Device Center (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=228).

Here is another possible way to rename the file back. WARNING: I'm not responsible if it doesn't work/goes wrong!

1. with debug mode on, type ~help in the search box -- you should see a list of the valid commands starting with ~. There should be one called ~exec.

2. In the search box, type:

3. Restart the Kindle (through the menu). This time it should start in normal USB mode, not usbNetwork mode.
Is there a way to delete a folder in the root of my Kindle using the ~exec command?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As for the exec private command, it's a fluke when your Kindle actually still has the testing scripts needed for that to work, so, not surprising that it doesn't do a thing ..
----^
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Is it a glitch when it works? If I try over and over, will it work one of those times? Or if it doesn't work the first time it won't ever work? Is there any way to activate it using my Kindle's UI?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, period (ie. missing scripts, no way to import them without a shell & a dump of these scripts).
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #25
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hi Stonecold,

Crossing my fingers for you... You'll probably manage it.
In the process, it sounds like you'll learn some fascinating stuff.
I had no idea you could have shell access to the device over wifi.

Wishing you some good rest, everything will be easier in the morning.

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Okay, I just did the same stupid thing (renamed the folder to auto without thinking).
Here is the solution, Stonecold
Just run 'usbNetwork while connected to the pc with the USB cable. It worked for me.
Ooh yeah, another thing that I did was to download the microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center thingy and install it. I dont know if that was what trggered it but my problem is solved without ever restoring Kinlde to factory defaults
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
Stonecold
Connoisseur

I can't use `usbNetwork because I have a Kindle 3 (B006) and it uses ~usbNetwork. I tried what yo did and it didn't work. I think the solution might be different between Kindle 2 and Kindle 3.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

`usbNetwork == ~usbNetwork

The private command prefix just changed. (ie. ` for FW 1.x-2.x, ~ for FW 3.x)
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #29
Stonecold
Connoisseur

I managed to get the RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget thing working, and I've managed to get my Kindle to connect to my computer via ethernet. But now another problem arose. My computer tries to connect to my Kindle. It says "Aquiring IP address" as usual, but after a minute or so it says "This connection has limited or no connectivity". I've tried disabling my firewall, but to no avail. The connection is called "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" and is 450.9 MB/s or so connection. There's no command prompt window or anything! How do I delete /mnt/us/usbnet from my computer when the device has "Limited or no connectivity"? I tried using the repair connection tool, but it always says "Windows cannot repair this connecting because the following step could not be completed: renewing your IP address". Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #30
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You need DHCP server to assign IP (usually routers do this) or assign the device one manually, and then you can SSH to the device I'd assume.

I haven't messed with it, but being a linux device that would only seem the norm.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle 3, problem, usb network