Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Google Play Books size limit

Since there is no section for Google Play Books I figured this is the closest place since GPB uses the e-pub format. If a better section is available, moderators should feel free to move this thread.

GPB has a maximum upload limit of 100 MB, a very reasonable limit in my mind. However, Walter Isaacson's latest tome on Leonardo da Vinci weighs in at a whooping 444 MB (lots of illustrations), thus Google won't let me upload it. Because of all the illustrations I'd really like to read it on a large tablet that displays colors. So is there any way I can make it available to my Android devices in order to maintain syncing? Or am I forced to copy it over to the tablet using USB and in that case where is the folder I need to put it in so it shows up in GPB?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A little late on this. If you're still interested, you can open the epub and extract the images folder. Run the files through an image editor like Irfan, which has bulk processing, to change the compression settings.

The resulting files will be smaller. Technically, there will be some loss of information, but when I compare the before and after images, I can't really tell the difference.

You can play with the settings until you get something you like and keep the original for later viewing as well.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the tip. I bought mine on Dito and then discovered that GPB also sold it (although $ 3 more) so I guess there are no restrictions when it comes down from their servers, only up to them.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
A little late on this. If you're still interested, you can open the epub and extract the images folder. Run the files through an image editor like Irfan, which has bulk processing, to change the compression settings.

The resulting files will be smaller. Technically, there will be some loss of information, but when I compare the before and after images, I can't really tell the difference.

You can play with the settings until you get something you like and keep the original for later viewing as well.
Even better. You can use Calibre's editor to do this. First thing to do is compress losslessly and see if that makes things small enough. If not, you can compress more until you have what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even better. You can use Calibre's editor to do this. First thing to do is compress losslessly and see if that makes things small enough. If not, you can compress more until you have what you want.
I'll be sure to check that out, but it is a long step from 4 GB to less than 100 MB.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'll be sure to check that out, but it is a long step from 4 GB to less than 100 MB.
I thought you said 444MB? Not Gigs?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Would it be an option to split it into four or five volumes? Not too hard to do, using Sigil. Calibre Editor users might also have easy ways you could do that.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is the Split ePub plugin for Calibre.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I thought you said 444MB? Not Gigs?

Hitch
Ooops,I did it again. I counted that as 4.4 GB not 0.4 GB.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Walter Isaacson's latest tome on Leonardo da Vinci weighs in at a whooping 444 MB (lots of illustrations)
Have you unzipped the epub and checked the total space used by the images?

I've been curious how many images there are and what are the dimensions of the typical and the largest images.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Have you unzipped the epub and checked the total space used by the images?

I've been curious how many images there are and what are the dimensions of the typical and the largest images.
If I were a betting woman, I'd guesstimate that some idjit made the book using INDD. (InDesign). Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself, but there's a LOT wrong with it if the idjit doesn't know to optimize the images. It would be dead easy to make a 400mb file, with "only" a few hundred images or even less. EASY. It would also be easy to make it larger than needed with the inclusion of non-subset fonts, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen too many INDD created ePub where the graphic used as the section separator was duplicated for each section.

Speaking of embedded fonts, Penguin/Random House is putting in a Next Reads section and they embed 3 different fonts for this. That section and the fonts can be deleted no problem. If there are embedded fonts that are not to be deleted, they get subsetted.

Also, if there are any previews/adverts for other books, that can be deleted. Sometimes the adverts for other books can be pretty big with a lot of graphics.

One thing I do is if the graphics used for the cover and the titlepage are more than 1600 lines, in the Calibre Editor, I resize them to 1600 lines. Also, I losslessly compress at 80 and that reduces the graphics size.

Tags
alternative solution, google play books, size limit for epub