Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #766
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
@Micah, can you name one eBook vendor using ACS5? Kobo, eBooks.com & OverDrive aren't (they aren't even using ACS 4.2 which is also capable of the new DRM). Not sure about Google or Ingram/Lightning Source.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #767
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Many of the ebook distributors have already switched to ACS5 months ago. They have a setting: "use new DRM" (not compatible with RMSDK9 devices) and "Use old DRM".
Which ones? There is a statuscheck page that seems to say for most of them that they are using a variant of ACS4, can you demonstrate otherwise?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #768
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Many of the ebook distributors have already switched to ACS5 months ago. They have a setting: "use new DRM" (not compatible with RMSDK9 devices) and "Use old DRM". Some school systems with closed ecosystems might use the "new" setting but no other commercial platform could. They'd be out of business immediately. It is not something to worry about. And using a RMSDK10 based reader does not change a thing. I understand the concern, and Adobe screwed up the messaging around this at the time of release. Adobe needs to be carefully observed moving forward for sure, and believe you me I'm doing that x10000, but that chapter is closed.
I know it's not a problem now, but it will be in the future. That's why I am putting out the warning now. Because if people continue to download DRMed ePub via Bluefire, one day they will find themselves screwed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #769
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those using Bluefire Reader on iOS and/or Android, DO NOT USE IT TO DOWNLOAD ePub from the .ascm file. The iOS app has been updated with RMSDK 10 (no idwa when the Android version is going to be updated if it is not yet) and that's the version that can deliver the new DRM. Once downloaded, with Bluefire and you get the new DRM, you cannot download to the old DRM.
How did you find this out? I'm worried that Google Play books might do this at some point and I would like to know before it happens. I don't buy a lot there, but they are usually better at price matching than Kobo.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #770
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm worried that Google Play books might do this at some point and I would like to know before it happens.
Remove DRM immediately for anything you buy, and if that ever stops working, get a refund. Don't buy where you can't get a refund. As long as there is customer service you end up with either DRM free books or no monetary loss.

What the new DRM will bring remains to be seen when it actually goes live somewhere.

As long as you're active in this forum I guess you will know either way. As this thread shows a new DRM can make quite a lot of noise.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #771
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Remove DRM immediately for anything you buy, and if that ever stops working, get a refund. Don't buy where you can't get a refund. As long as there is customer service you end up with either DRM free books or no monetary loss.

What the new DRM will bring remains to be seen when it actually goes live somewhere.

As long as you're active in this forum I guess you will know either way. As this thread shows a new DRM can make quite a lot of noise.
I thought Amazon was the only place you could get a refund for ebooks. Recently Kobo started giving a credit, but that won't help if they change their drm. Nook won't give a refund as far as I know. A few years ago I bought a book that had a description for a different book and I had to fight for a refund for that.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #772
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How did you find this out? I'm worried that Google Play books might do this at some point and I would like to know before it happens. I don't buy a lot there, but they are usually better at price matching than Kobo.
You could make sure to always download the book using ADE2.0 (or reader app with RMSDK 9) first. A little more hassle if you usually buy books with Bluefire to read directly...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #773
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You could make sure to always download the book using ADE2.0 (or reader app with RMSDK 9) first. A little more hassle if you usually buy books with Bluefire to read directly...
If I buy from Google Play on my tablet it automatically opens the book in Play Books. Does this count as a first download? Unless someone knows how to do this differently on a tablet, you don't have a choice of how to download.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #774
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
If I buy from Google Play on my tablet it automatically opens the book in Play Books. Does this count as a first download? Unless someone knows how to do this differently on a tablet, you don't have a choice of how to download.
Play Books are Google's special ebooks with special-sauce in it. It doesn't use ADE at all. You also have the option it download it though ADE. It works the same as Kobo KEPUBs, except for the part where Kobo stopped offering the ADE option for a lot of books.

(And I think Play books are a complicated javascript mush, like AZK. But that's a difference for format geeks. )

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #775
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Play Books are Google's special ebooks with special-sauce in it. It doesn't use ADE at all. You also have the option it download it though ADE. It works the same as Kobo KEPUBs, except for the part where Kobo stopped offering the ADE option for a lot of books.

(And I think Play books are a complicated javascript mush, like AZK. But that's a difference for format geeks. )
Good to know, thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #776
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is from iTunes...

Quote:
What's New in Version 2.1

Dropbox integration – Download books stored in your Dropbox account without leaving Bluefire Reader! Just tap Library in the top nav bar and choose Dropbox from from the menu.
Integration of the Open Dyslexic font, created to help readers with Dyslexia
Updated themes, including support for sepia mode for PDF files
Integration of RMSDK 10 and the latest OpenSSL library code
Please remember to update your reviews. We appreciate your support!
The solution is to download any DRMed ePub using ADE 2.0. That way, you won't get the new DRM when the new server software rolls out. Then you can use whatever app on whatever device to download again.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #777
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Ebook platforms that use ACS5 can set a flag: "use the old DRM" or "use the new DRM". If they use the new DRM, those books can't be read on RMSDK9X devices and apps. This is of course not attractive to consumer oriented businesses, but can work for closed ecosystems such as K-12 Schools that hand out iPads to all students and provision them with content.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #778
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ebook platforms that use ACS5 can set a flag: "use the old DRM" or "use the new DRM". If they use the new DRM, those books can't be read on RMSDK9X devices and apps. This is of course not attractive to consumer oriented businesses, but can work for closed ecosystems such as K-12 Schools that hand out iPads to all students and provision them with content.
So what we need is a modified RMSDK 10 that's been modified to look and feel like RMSDK 9 to the content server.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #779
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Does anyone know if ADE 2.0 is compatible with Mac Mavericks? I'm considering replacing my old iMac (on which I'm currently running ADE 1.7.2), but would want to be sure that I could still download and disinfect any books I buy.

Quote:
In case you didn't listen to the previous two posters - download and install 2.0 instead now! If you happen to download a book that uses the new drm in the future, you will never be able to get it in the old drm again. The first download controls what drm you get.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #780
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes, it should be forwards compatible with newer versions of OSX.