Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Fixing My Collections

Now that I finally understand (after years) how Kindle Collections works and only have two other family members linked to my account, I want to fix my Collections.

When I look at Collections, there are multiples of categories (i.e. Scifi, Scifi and Fantasy, Fantasy and Sci fi) mostly because these were set up on kindles instead of online. How can I sort this out so that I only have two categories (Science Fiction, Fantasy)? The easy way I thought would be to delete all the categories and start from scratch, but how do I do that with the cloud categories? Is there a 'delete all' button somewhere?

The second question is how to get the categories on ereaders? The instructions I see is for a newly freshly formatted unit. Do I need to do that to get them there?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The older Kindles do not support Cloud Collections (for sure anything older than PW1 and maybe PW1 PW2?), you were able to import previously used ones, but then you had to one by one add items to them. If you family members have those, And you have something newer than PW3 then there will not be any collisions. You can do all the Cloud collection management on the newer Kindles (eg Voyage, KBasic8, PW3). On library Tap ALL to list all books. Then Tap FILTER. Collections will show at bottom of the options listed, you might need to scroll to it so you can tap on it. It will list all of the Cloud collections. tap and hold to Rename, Delete etc (or tap the 3dot menu to right of each).

Whether pre-cloud or not, you can delete any you don’t use.

The Kindle has a Term ‘download collection’. It’s not necessary, you can always add/remove items without having them appear all the time On home screen, and You can always toggle to ALL/CLOUD to see them listed (Using Filter) if you want to see them.

You can also turn off sync as well on the family kindles. That will keep reading position local to their device (and collections too I think). If that’s the only reading device they have then there’s not much reason to sync.

That said, Collections are pretty limited and Cumbersome and I use them sparingly: Current, Next, Favorites and that is about it. It’s no longer necessary to have one for Read, as that is now a property you can set per book.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thank you. This helped tremendously. (I didn't see the scroll! No wonder I couldn't find Collections!). Yeah, not perfect but my sis only reads scifi and Mom only reads Historical Fiction, Murder Mysteries and Science Fiction. So at least when they are looking for something and I'm not available to sideload, they can look in those folders.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote