Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Kindle v. new Nook and pricing

I just got my Kindle 2 less than a week ago. I got the refurb for $220.

Now, B&N has announced the Wi-Fi only Nook for $149.

Wi-Fi v. Cell network connection is not a consideration for me. Anyone used both Nook and Kindle have any thoughts? This is significantly less expensive! Would it be worth returning the Kindle to get the Nook?
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
I saw this too. As the networking isn't a consideration for me either, $150 for an eInk ereader is a pretty tempting offer. It might be worth it just so I can go troll the nook forums with an excuse.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
No one's really gotten a chance to try out the new book WiFi, since, depending on who you ask, it either hasn't started or just started shipping.

Now, the nook is a better device in my opinion than the Kindle, but I'm a Sony man myself.

I'm sure there's a Barnes and Nobles around you in Texas, go and try out the nook yourself. It's almost required that Barnes and Noble have demo units of their e-reader set up in store, from what I can tell. Best Buy usually has the nook on display too.

Try it yourself and make a decision!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Kindle versus Nook is in my opinion - where do you get your content.

If pre eReader most of the books you read were purchased new - then I think the Kindle is an excellent choice. If, however, you get most of your books from the library, then the Nook is probably a better choice for you.

In my view, Amazon has more content and better prices than B&N.

I am likely to buy a non-3G Nook to add to my Kindle - so we can have both. But, if Sony has a massive drop in price for the Daily Edition - Sony could be in the running also.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good thoughts. I think one thing that is a turn off to me on the nook is lack of a physical keyboard, and I do take notes in my books a lot, primarily because I'll post a summary or review on facebook when I'm done. I probably need to go play with one and see how good the Nooks kb is.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
Kindle versus Nook is in my opinion - where do you get your content.

If pre eReader most of the books you read were purchased new - then I think the Kindle is an excellent choice. If, however, you get most of your books from the library, then the Nook is probably a better choice for you.

In my view, Amazon has more content and better prices than B&N.

I am likely to buy a non-3G Nook to add to my Kindle - so we can have both. But, if Sony has a massive drop in price for the Daily Edition - Sony could be in the running also.
My best friend has the Kindle and I the Nook, the price advantage the Kindle had before January etc is gone. Barnes and Noble and the Amazon are pretty much priced fairly similiar and basically Apple with their deal ruined it for all us basically but overall you won't find a big price difference between the two.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
Good thoughts. I think one thing that is a turn off to me on the nook is lack of a physical keyboard, and I do take notes in my books a lot, primarily because I'll post a summary or review on facebook when I'm done. I probably need to go play with one and see how good the Nooks kb is.
the virtual keyboard is pretty decent on the Nook, I think you'll still like the physical keyboard better. If you are big time note taker than this is when the keyboard will come in handy but as I said it's not too bad, it's performance has been sped up in the past rounds of updates.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The K2 is now $189 only $40 more than the Nook wifi and less than the Nook 3G.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The K2 is now $189 only $40 more than the Nook wifi and less than the Nook 3G.
Huge...it's totally an F-U to B&N.

I wonder if Amazon has a whole set of price point contingencies for this kind of price war...and I doubt B&N has the deep pockets to escalate it the way Amazon could.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I wonder how many days it is before Target matches the $189 price on the K2, I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open. I'm going to put my bet down on an urgent message price cut tomorrow some time.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Barnes and Noble and the Amazon are pretty much priced fairly similiar and basically Apple with their deal ruined it for all us basically but overall you won't find a big price difference between the two.
Look at magazines and newspapers too.

And yes, Agency pricing stuffed things up - UNTIL this group of Publishing Dinosaurs becomes extinct.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
jasonfedelem
Zealot

yeah, I saw this on engadget while I was on lunch. On the phone right now trying to get a refund.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I bought it full pricing - no complaints. Will buy the K3 on issue, also.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It looks like the kindle dropped $60 since your post. What did you do make amazon an offer they couldn't refuse?

That means it's a $40 price difference. Between the kindle and the wi-fi nook.

Personally I think the kindle still has a better selection of books at better prices. The nook prices have greatly improved since they launched and are closer to the kindle prices and in some cases even better. However the norm usually falls in the kindles favor.

I also use TTS for my commute and that is something the nook does not have.

I don't know , before returning the kindle I would use inkmesh to look up some books and compare price and availability. Then make a decision.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm keeping my 505 and not buying anything, cost $0
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote