Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
BookWyrm217
BookWyrm217 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Sony 700 reader from NY :bookworm:

I am a proud owner of a Sony 700 while hubby has the 505. We go nowhere without them. Saves on dinner conversation. On the other hand, we answer lots of questions from the curious.

A friend from another blog, JessicaG. sent me here because I am such a Technophobe and always have questions. Mainly because I speak English, not techno or geek. And am easily confused when trying to figure out what files I can download from sites other than the Sony one.

I have tried to download the digital books program but it interfered with my Adobe program that I use to publish a monthly newsletter. I had to uninstall it and hopefully I won't have the problems that I did.

So expect lots of really stupid questions from me. And please be patient.

ev
BookWyrm217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hello and welcome (I'm JessicaG). I hope someone can help you with your Adobe problem - I'm pretty lazy with that stuff so I pretty much stick to LRF format. Sad, because I know I'm totally hindering myself *sigh*

Glad to see you here at MR!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
BookWyrm217

Talking

Jessica- thanks for hooking me up with this site. I think it will be a big help!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, BookWyrm! (again)

Everyone here will be patient......ask me how I know!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWyrm217 View Post
Jessica- thanks for hooking me up with this site. I think it will be a big help!
I hope so! Watch out though, it's addicting...I stumbled in here sometime in December and haven't left yet...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
BookWyrm217

Talking

I will play slowly, trying to figure out how to add things like an avatar.

Playing with the icons is just the first step!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome BookWyrm217. I'm old and so is my Sony - PRS-500. However, as I understand the 505 & the 700 can read epub format (the 500 doesn't).

That said, you will definitely be able to read LRF, the Sony format without DRM. And you should be able to read RTF (Rich Text Format). RTF can be ouput from MS Word or Open Office as well as many other word processors. This is good for your own original work. The main problem with RTF on the Sonys is they have not implemented it fully. You won't get TOC or images in RTF. Although you can convert ebooks using Calibre or Book Designer (both free downloads here on MR) to convert to LRF.

Places I know you can purchase LRF ebooks, are Baen (SF/F but none have DRM) and Fictionwise (their multiformat also do not have DRM & you can redownload in other formats). Probably Books on Board also has LRF ebooks but I'm not very familiar with them.

O would stay away from PDF and Adobe for the 6 inch screens. PDFs can be particularly troublesome since they are usually made to be printed on 8.5x11 paper and appear too small on most readers (the Irex at 9 inch is one exception).

With the right software, and where it is legal to do so, you can remove the DRM from ereader, Mobipocket, & Micosoft's .LIT ebooks. You'll have to search elsewhere for these SWs since MR doesn not support it.

You can PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited by slayda; 02-15-2009 at 11:32 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I hope so! Watch out though, it's addicting...I stumbled in here sometime in December and haven't left yet...
Really? only since December?
For some reason, I thought you were an old-timer here.. LOL

btw: Welcome BookWyrm217!
I'm a fellow NY-er.

You're going to love it here!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi BookWyrm217 and welcome to the Forum. Don't worry about being a technophobe. You are among very friendly bookworms here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
BookWyrm217

Red face Acronym city

Slayda- thanks for the info. I will try and interpert some of it, however, I do know what a LRF and DRM is! Hey, baby steps. Right now I just want to be able to download books without messing up. Which isn't hard for me.

I do play on Baen (love them!) and Fictionwise and BookonBoard, along with eHarlequin, but I really wish they would put up a chart, list the formats and what readers are compatible. One of the sites does that but I can't remember which one. I should make my own chart.

As for using other programs, like the conversion one, is just beyond me. At least for now. I suppose if there was someone around here that could physically show me how, I would be better off. I am one of those "hands on people"!

we won't even discuss my daughter trying to talk me through downloading uTorrent and Demonoid yesterday. I gave up!!