Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Icarus 7.8 inch 300ppi Android e-reader

Good evening

There are campaign running on indiegogo of Icarus Illumna XL HD
It was already posted on other forums and blog sites but I haven't seen it here, so here is specs from their page:

Quote:
7.8" E-Ink Carta HD, touchscreen (1872 x 1404)
Integrated frontlight (adjustable intensity and can be turned off)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Android 4.2: install your own apps
1.8Ghz quad-core processor (Rockchip) with 1GB RAM
16 Gb internal memory (no sd card)
Supports ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM and in addition FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM
Supports other ebook ecosystems, newspapers, articles and many other content through apps / Google Play Store
Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
Battery: 2,800mAh Lithium Ion
200 x 145 x 9mm, 275 gr.

Last edited by Neru; 07-26-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

They added some videos if anyone is interested.
Spoiler:

Also it uses same screen and latest Regal waveform like in KA One which is exciting.
What is disappointing is that they will not make the software completely open-source and it wont support usb host mode
(someone in forum mentioned that it works on Illumna XL).

Last edited by Neru; 06-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post

Also it uses same screen and latest Regal waveform like in KA One which is exciting.
I believe the KA1 DOES NOT use the regal waveform. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the video showing the Kindle app, I do see ghosting. So I doubt it's using the regal waveform.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Neru
!!!

I think that XL HD uses Regal since and they said so in comment
Quote:
the Regal waveform supported is the last version (like Kobo Aura One). CPU is Rockchip 1.8Ghz. The screen is Carta HD (1872 × 1404).
and also said so in reply to my mail.
Though that they would know better because it looks like they are using same screen as KA1/ or just made a mistake so going to ask them.
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Neru
!!!

KA One screen indeed has Regal as they said and so Illumna XL Hd has.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

What a suck fest! Horrible screen.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Neru
!!!

Looks like refresh and contrast is not really good, but specs looks good as it has quad-core RK3188 processor (Icarus support did not mention it but looks like Boyue t80s which has almost same specs). Better firmware would make this reader really good for its price I think.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I don't see an issue with the screen. Just the fact that they were demonstrating apps not designed for e-ink (eg: scrolling, little full screen refresh to clear ghosting, and light/grey fonts).

If you look at the status bar or app draw, the screen looks fine.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post
Looks like refresh and contrast is not really good, but specs looks good as it has quad-core RK3188 processor (Icarus support did not mention it but looks like Boyue t80s which has almost same specs). Better firmware would make this reader really good for its price I think.
Not the same specs better processor, higher density screen, larger memory capacity has bluetooth supports smart cover what else would you want in an ereader update.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Neru
!!!

Looks like I'm too obessed with contrast as I am using reader with pearl screen so I was expecting too much from carta screen (like very dark black colors although now I've noticed that it was because of grey/ thin text and third-party apps that made it look not as dark)

Quote:
Not the same specs better processor, higher density screen, larger memory capacity has bluetooth supports smart cover what else would you want in an ereader update.
If you mean not same specs compared to t80s you might be right (as some info of Icarus reader was not mentioned) but both Icarus XL HD and t80s has quad-core processor, 1GB of ram, 300ppi carta screen ect. - there is a chance that they have almost the same specs so I was just comparing XL HD to T80s as there are some more pictures of it, not saying that it's not upgraded enough (actually its more than enough in my opinion).
Not sure if Icarus has bluetooth though as it was not mentioned in their page.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Remember, it's a video and what you see may not be as it is in terms of contrast. Lighting plays a good part on this and so does the angle of the camera.

I've used Pearl and I'm now using Carta and the Carta screen is noticeably better. Carta does have better contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
According to eink's own datasheeets, Carta has 50% better contrast than Pearl. It's certainly noticeable, as Jon says.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
If Icarus 7.8 was released before the Aura One, I might have been interested.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Looks prett good, but I had to reurn the Icarus Ilumina XL when I bought it like a year ago because of the high ghosting problems. SO let's see what happens with this one.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote